One thing that would make the API easier to use to get updates

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
dalewking

Post by dalewking »

So the API has the since parameter to specify only getting updates since a given date. The thing that always bugged me about the API is that it doesn't actually contain that field (date_catalog) in its returned data. If it contained that field it would make getting updates easier and more foolproof. If I had that info and I wanted to get updates I could just look up in my version of the catalog for the last value I have and pass it in the since parameter.

So how about returning date_catalog in the API response?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The situation re the API hasn't changed , when it does it would probably be better to have all the requests in the one thread , makes it easier for someone to collect.

Anne
dalewking

Post by dalewking »

I think I have a work around any way. I am separating getting the known IDs from getting the metadata for the IDs. I keep track of when I save the IDs I get from LV and just run a job that a couple of times a day I ask LV for just IDs (and language since I only care about English in my case) for anything since 2 days before I last saved a record. The initial call requested the IDs of all books so that one was a big request. I also as a backup once a month go back 6 months from last save date to make sure I don't miss anything.

Then I have a separate job that slowly trickles in the metadata one book at a time every once in a while due to working around the extended bug.