[ENDED] An April Adventure! All 24 participants successful! 55 new sections! 14h 16m free public domain audio created!

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Cori

Post by Cori »

smike wrote: April 3rd, 2018, 12:17 pmI think it's only four books, though, because I recorded from the same book Piotr did. :)
You got the first file in for that project, though. ;) So far, every completed file is in a different project.

(Edited to add: I just went to check, in case Piotr had finished and I missed it -- and it sounds rather like they ARE English muffins. The best kind, of course. Hot and buttered, with melty cheese and a little black pepper -- bliss. ;)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
smike

Post by smike »

OH, OK. :)
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm going to try a section in "Jurisprudence" next. All about "Possession". Isn't that 9 tenths of the law? :lol:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Cori wrote: April 3rd, 2018, 11:50 am
You have me thinking now, Sue ... I have a feeling the last dog book I did might have been Tricia's Pompey the Little, completed 8 years and 7 days ago. 8-) Don't think I've done canine non-fiction though ...

There's a spot just waiting for some canine non-fiction in Vol. 55 of the Nonfiction Collection!! :P
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=68693
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

And here's the story of Byron:
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/dogheroes_06_ives_128kb.mp3
32:53

My reaction to reading about this valiant and loyal dog? I have to say honestly that I teared up a couple of times while recording this one...
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I've done a bit of non-fiction during my time here, but none having to do with food or cooking. So to change that, I've volunteered to read about curry in Cakes & Ale. :)
Tomas Peter
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

I have decided to go with literary criticism, rather than architecture. So if anyone wants Henry Adams's Mont-Saint-Michelle and Chartres, he or she is welcome to it--it is a wonderful book. I am requesting instead a solo recording of Heroines of Fiction by William Dean Howells. Jim
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

This sounds like a fun challenge! I normally read matter-of-fact historical non-fiction. But I have sometimes "stretched" in the past to try new stuff I'd never done before, and I always found it was a good learning experience. Sometimes, a new "dabble" turned out to be so much fun that I returned for more -- (poetry, music, occasional drama). Other times, while it was (ahem) "educational", it was also a struggle and not something I cared to repeat -- (a certain pedantic adventure of a text riddled with Latin quotes comes to mind!)

Anyway, here we go, April Challenge! One genre I have never yet touched is science fiction. It just isn't a genre I have any interest in. But my guy Brian loves it, reads lots of it, and always wishes I'd take some interest. So for my challenge, I will try recording something for the Short Science Fiction Collection. Who knows, I might find I like it!
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

I’ll play. I think the only genre I’ve never done is poetry, so I chose one in Songs of the Sea and Lays of the Land.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
catharmaiden

Post by catharmaiden »

Kitty wrote: April 2nd, 2018, 12:34 pm At least after recording this chapter, I will be able to mix all the delicious cocktails, even though I need to find someone else to drink them :mrgreen:
Let me take them off your hands. :mrgreen:

I've just posted my April challenge in the women-travellers thread. I did my best, and I don't think the result is bad, but it did remind me of why I prefer to read poetry. It's just so much more melodic. But in any case, it's done: 13:04 minutes. :)

Sandra
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Cori wrote: April 2nd, 2018, 1:03 pm Well done, Sonia! Maybe the cocktails will give you ideas for mocktails, which are just as much fun!

Muffins, Claudia -- we do have some amazing books floating around. :D

And, Devorah, I'm totally counting that. Although, if you want to pick something else adventuresome this month, please do feel free. ;)

Amusez-vous bien, April! :thumbs:

All claims and numbers up to date, I think, yes I do have a spreadsheet up and running ...
So, how many are a person allowed to claim? I feel as though I have read quite a few different subjects though there must still be one out there that I could find and read. Lv has become my addiction.
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

finished my second April challenge, the cocktail mixing in Cakes&Ale. Highly entertaining 8-) End result: 22:13 min. to be added to our total.

Now for something less funny...I'll check out Spiders under a microscope :? something I probably never would do in real life. I just claimed Section 52. "Observ. XLVII. Of the Shepherd Spider, or long legg'd Spider" in JorWat's "Micrographia" project: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68351 (after a nudge from Availle)

Sonia
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

TriciaG wrote: April 3rd, 2018, 12:24 pm I'm going to try a section in "Jurisprudence" next. All about "Possession". Isn't that 9 tenths of the law? :lol:
This is done - 40:49. It was challenging, but I think it was easier for me to read than the drawing section, even with the Latin in this one. :) Either the author wrote easier sentence structures, or my more left-brainedness made it seem easier.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Okay, recorded my poem. Maybe I'll take on Baudelaire next...
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
Cori

Post by Cori »

April6090, we're claiming one at a time. :D It's fairer to BCs and other readers that way. And, yep ... know what you mean about LV being addictive! In the best way, of course ...

Nice going, Mark! Baudelaire seems to be majorly different to your regular reading, I'd be interested in knowing if there was any commonality at all.

Oooh, Tricia, you've bumped our time total up to a grand 2:53:46. :D How good that you read that drawing section, then, because I can't imagine any other scenario in which a Latin-containing jurisprudence text would feel 'easier'. :lol:

Sonia, it's early days, but I think your new pick might win Challenging Topic of the Month. I can't even. (As the kids say. ;) )

Well done for the adventuring, Sandra. Nudges our books-contributed total up neatly!

Sci-fi, Maria! I hope you do enjoy it. It's as hit and miss as any other genre, but the good stuff can be REALLY good. Hmm, maybe you and sjmarky should be swapping recommendations. :P
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!