[ENDED] An April Adventure! All 24 participants successful! 55 new sections! 14h 16m free public domain audio created!

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Cori

Post by Cori »

Good going, Ava! And good luck, Tom -- that's quite the editing job ahead. :D

Thanks, Jim, all numbers updated. How're you finding your Heroines?
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I have finished my short adventure through India, Persia and Mesopotamia. Arm-chair time travel at its best. :wink:

viewtopic.php?p=1460093#p1460093

Doesn't add much to the overall completed time, but sorry to say it's probably all I have time for at the moment.
Jo
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

me again :) I found another challenge. Since a lot of people try out sci-fi here, I noticed I haven't read any sci-fi either, it's not really my genre. So I claimed a section in Mizora, to help out finishing this abandoned solo: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64866

edit: I see it also seems to be "feminist" literature of sorts, so that's another new for me too.

let's see how I will like this story :shock:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

update: already posted my sci-fi section :mrgreen: 7:53 min. to be added to the total. I don't think I will turn into a sci-fi fan after all. But I gave it a shot and that's what counts.

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

The Parlourmaid in the Pinero play has been submitted.

Can I get out of this girdle now?

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I;ve just claimed a section in "Jurisprudence". Never read a legal text for LV so that will be the first.

Also, I'm not sure if my last update found its way to the current stats. I have already completed the section for Harland's Complete Etiquette. Surprisingly commonsensical, I must say :) I expected something much more arbitrary and whimsical. I especially liked the bit when she admonished a car driver not to obstruct a person in a cart wagon because "he pays for the road just like you and has just as much right to it as you do" (I'm paraphrasing here).
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Cori

Post by Cori »

Harland's an excellent writer indeed, Piotr. I recorded the start of her Household book for the Non-Fiction collection a while back, and it was great fun. I'm glad you enjoyed the etiquette and now know how to handle wagons on the road. :D All updated.

Ungirdle, Chris, please do! That can't be good for breath control!

Oh, Sonia, you're really going for it. :lol: I'm glad you enjoyed that one, too.

Armchair travelling updated, Jo, thank you! (And yes, those totally count as separate sections, which boosts one of our stats, even if it's not the time total.)

Also.

I FINISHED MY ECONOMICS CHAPTER! It was indeed quite the adventure, and I will almost certainly never repeat it. :wink: :roll: But hey ho, another 22 min for the total.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

I don't know whether this will fit the challenge or not, but I started reading a solo in April (with the intent to complete it in April). The book is a projection of British (and European) history published in 1763--but the main character is George VI of England who reigned--in this alternative history from 1900-1925. (The actual George VI reigned from 1936-1952 and is the father of Queen Elizabeth II).

Technically, it falls into the genre of counterfactual history (predictive history) if you will, and, until recently this genre was anathema to professional historians. I'm reading it primarily out of curiosity. And it is interesting to consider a world in which there was no Queen Victoria, World War I or II, nuclear attacks, no United States, no revolution in France, Russia, or America...all of the touchstones of our 21st Century are missing.

Anyway, that's my contribution. I have 5 sections completed, 3 in editing and 3 to go.

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Finished my chapter on curries! https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/cakes_12_spenser_128kb.mp3

Now I want to read this snooty gourmand's take on veggies. :lol:
Tomas Peter
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Well, I did it - I felt weird saying "us Americans" but I got through it! Now I need to get back and finish my solo...

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/tocsinofrevolt_12_matthews_128kb.mp3 (14:00)
Cori

Post by Cori »

Good going, Beth! Good luck with your solo too :D

That's quite the non sequitur, Tomas, given the file-name title of the book ... curry cake doesn't bear thinking about! (Chili chocolate cake, on the other hand, I'm prepared to think about a lot.) Hope the veggies are equally intriguing!

Philip -- sounds like that does meet the challenge, unless you've read alternate histories here in the past? (Fascinating, but surely not all that common!) I've added you (and everyone) to the spreadsheet ... off to update the first post.
Roger

Post by Roger »

OK, I think this should qualify for the April Adventure.

This is a warning - I will attempt a very short book of recipes for the SNF collection. I will readily state that I have never recorded a recipe. :D
Will post link when it's done. Cool idea, Cori!
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
kayray

Post by kayray »

Here's my little section of The World's Story: viewtopic.php?p=1461223#p1461223

Only 3:21, but hey, every little bit counts :thumbs:

Ooo I like the spreadsheet!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Roger wrote: April 22nd, 2018, 3:13 pm OK, I think this should qualify for the April Adventure.

This is a warning - I will attempt a very short book of recipes for the SNF collection. I will readily state that I have never recorded a recipe. :D
Will post link when it's done. Cool idea, Cori!
We're awaiting hungrily for your recipes over at the Nonfiction Collection: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=69985! :P
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I am late to this but would like to sign up! My goal is to contribute to one of the ongoing short story collections, as my happy place tends to be nonfiction and I would like to expand into reading some fiction. I enjoyed reading a short ghost story for the most recent of those collections, and I am looking at another one that would be a good fit there.

I have also never tried a poetry recording...

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai