Cumulative Records of Readers, BC's, DPL's, Cover Designers

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
msfry

Post by msfry »

I just now noticed that if someone does a catalog search on Michele Fry, it takes them to my Reader Page, and unless I have read a section on a project, my contributions aren't listed. The Reader Page is just that, a list of sections I have read. DUH!

Theoretically, someone could BC a hundred books and design dozens of covers, and DPL year after year, and be completely invisible by name on LV's Search The Catalog feature. Is that a bummer? BC'ing is a time consuming lot of work, as is DPL'ing. And MC'ing.

Perhaps there a cumulative record somewhere. Am I missing something?

On IA, though, a search of Michele Fry does reveal a project I BC'd and DPL'd, (The Rough Riders) though I didn't read any of it. IA doesn't indicate who BC'd or Proof Listened the project . . . . but my name appears in the Summary.
Last edited by msfry on March 28th, 2018, 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

In our catalog system, some of those stats are simply not available.

I suppose one could have project lists for BCs and DPLs, but only if the DPL is listed as such in the project database entry. If someone PLs part of a project and isn't listed as DPL, there is nowhere that keeps track of that. And it would require programming to make that info available.

There is no field in the database for cover designers.

I guess it'd be nice as a record of how much effort someone has put into LV, but from a listener's perspective, they're not important. And we were focused on the essentials with the 2013 redesign. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
msfry

Post by msfry »

A work-around: If we included Production Details in the summary (which IA reads), which we already compile on the back of our covers (which IA does not read), I suspect our names would at least show up on an IA search. Example:

Summary by: Susie Smith
Read by: Roger Rabbit or Read by Librivox Volunteers: 1, 2, 3
MC: Lucy Ducy
BC: Michele Fry
DPL: Jane Doe and Harry Smith
Cover Design: Joe Shmoe

I have noticed acknowledgment doesn't matter to everyone around here, but I believe in acknowledgement -- it is a wonderful and cost free way to reward our volunteers for their contributions (and it IS IMPORTANT TO LISTENERS to keep our volunteers enthused and engaged). I'd love it if my friends and family could see a fuller list of what I'm doing while they sit around wondering why Michele sits at her desk, hidden away, talking to herself, leading such a "boring" existence. For the most part, they have no idea and I can't find words to explain it.
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

msfry wrote: March 27th, 2018, 10:49 am I'd love it if my friends and family could see a fuller list of what I'm doing while they sit around wondering why Michele sits at her desk, hidden away, talking to herself, leading such a "boring" existence. For the most part, they have no idea and I can't find words to explain it.
:thumbs:

A possibly gargantuan task but doable if one has the time, would be to create a spreadsheet with Name, Project, Date, and so on for field-entry, utilizing the message board for cover artists. Used to do this via MS Access to create mailing lists. Transfer sheet to main catalog database or post it on the LV wiki maybe?
My previous LV work: Bellona Times
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

One only has to look at the credits screens for films to realise how many people are involved in making the film, and it's the same with every volunteer project I've been involved with - it's team work. I hear what Michele is saying, and it would be nice to be able to see what your personal contribution was, but it probably isn't possible to have a realistic representation. As an example you may have a section count of 10 - but this may be 10 sections 60 mins long of difficult abstract thought . Or 10 1 word lines in various plays. Both of which are worthwhile , and needed and the same sort of logic applies to everything done here.

Anne
msfry

Post by msfry »

Just like real life, there is no way you can thank everybody or credit everybody for everything, but you do what you can and that feels good.