Proposal for categories with historical periodization by region

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

schmibble wrote: March 30th, 2018, 2:58 pm I would have thought this is rather obvious, but if you need it to be spelled out, allrighty then. Go to https://librivox.org/ . Click on "Catalog." On the "Browse the Catalog" page, click on "Genre/Subject." Decide which categories you want to browse, and begin browsing. The site's search feature is not used at all.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You just made my day! Hell, you just made my whole weekend plus next week through Friday!

Just one question: How do you think the Genre/Subjects you are choosing are being FOUND so you can browse them without any kind of SEARCH going on in the background? And how do you think is the list you're browsing through being updated with all the genres of the 100 books we publish each month without searching through the catalog?

Go on. I'm always interested in learning something new. :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
schmibble

Post by schmibble »

Availle, in terms of the goals of this discussion your post is an inflammatory red herring and you know it. I was obviously speaking from the point of view of the UI and the user experience, from which perspective no search takes place (i.e. the UI search box is not used). And just as obviously the crucial point in my previous post--the point which you are deliberately ignoring simply because it's uncomfortable for you and not something you want to deal with, not because it's impossible--is this:
there should be no technical software problem that would prevent this from being done. Other issues, certainly, but not software, because librivox has already implemented one category that does exactly the type of thing I want. And what's already been done once can obviously be done again.
The kind of deliberately unproductive response represented by Availle's post, which takes advantage of a technicality in order to derail discussion, is what drives people like me to maybe decide not to volunteer to help with librivox after all, even after life settles down in a few years and we do get the time. There are all sorts of other great volunteer projects out there.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

most of that is pretty pointless, there are many things each of us would like to be able to search for and all of us have to decide whether it's poosible to implement them here
Just remember we are not librarians or historians - and when I say we I mean everyone here - not just admins. The readers chose the genres for the projects they co-ordinate and I personally have not read all the projects we have so I don't know how well the existing options are being used. If you make a usable list of what divisions you would see needed we'd have more idea if they were feasible and what priority to give them in future upgrades. At the very least it would be something co-ordinators could consult , so for some you would need examples and standard English that the ordinary person would understand.

Anne
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

1. And you, sir, have no intentions of ever volunteering here, and you know it.
Not now (since you said so yourself), and not 5, 10, or whatever x years down the line.

2. I cannot possibly "derail the discussion" since a discussion requires two people and you refuse to have one.
Let's recap:
a) You come on here out of the blue without so much as a "hello, my name is..." Instead you're telling us how you're really too busy for any of this, but you're here now anyway to set us straight.
b) You don't bother to learn about LibriVox in general, about our goals, how we do things or why we do them, etc.
c) Instead, within your first post, you immediately go onto a rant of how what we're doing does not serve your personal purposes and how "that's not how you do it". (I am aware that you have since edited your first post to delete that particular phrase).
d) You then proceed to give an extensive list of things that need to be changed/added to our systems/software so that you can finally use LibriVox for your personal benefit; and you expect us to immediately put every item on that list into place, right now.
e) From there, you refuse to listen to any of our arguments why d) is not feasible right now or in the forseeable future.

In particular points b) and e) suggest to me that you are not interested in any kind of discussion with any one of us. You simply want to be right.
(Which, btw, is a very bad trait for any scientist to have.)

3. You have now personally attacked me. Twice:
a) First when I gave you reasons why 2. d) is not going to happen, you called me "closed minded". That is not true. I have answered out of a knowledge of our goals and systems, something you have not bothered to acquire (cf. 2. b)).

b) And now you are calling me "inflammatory", "derailing" and "being uncomfortable with the truth", obviously in order to disguise your own inadequate knowledge following from 2.b).
My dear sir, you know, and I know, and everybody reading this thread knows that you were not talking about any user interface until the post in which you personally attacked me for the second time.

Just for your future reference, I would like to make a few remarks about said post of yours, because, if you are ever planning on being a scientist worth his salt, you will have plenty of people disagreeing with you. Hence:
i) Shifting the goalposts of a discussion after you have dug yourself into a hole will not get you out of said hole. On the contrary, you will simply dig it deeper.
ii) Riding a personal attack on an interlocutor who points out a mistake of yours will not only dig you a hole, it will also paint you into a very tight corner down there.

Anyway. I have spent enough time on this. I will now move on to deal with people who are actually willing to contribute.

We're done here.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com