Collection of Collections....

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Hello everyone.

Here is a link to a document I have created called the Librivox Collection of Collections:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OqFaZ5_K4WMuFszXJTH4dwB0qLmQ9OZq_9_LUodA0CU/edit?usp=sharing

It basically is a spreadsheet showing the variety of collections, what their subject matters are, how many volumes are in each collection and a link either to the last completed volume of the collection or the catalogue index. The link was last updated March 8, 2018. Suggestions from Tricia and Anne have been incorporated into the spreadsheet.

I put this together because I'm still learning my way around Librivox, and stumbled into a collection that I didn't know existed entirely by accident. I will try to update this material (approximately quarterly) as long as I am able to be here at Librivox (and I don't plan on leaving anytime soon). I hope this will let newer folks like me know what and where the collections are and find additional opportunities to participate.

Anyway, I hope that you find this link useful. If you have suggestions on how to make the update even better, Image

Many thanks,

Philip
Last edited by DrPGould on March 8th, 2018, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Nice!

Keep in mind, though, that just because someone decided to combine various texts into a collection doesn't mean there needs to be more than one volume. Some don't need to be (and shouldn't be) "invigorated." ;)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Good idea - do you mind if I offer some suggestions re the links
Many of the collections are in what we call groups - just so people can access them all on the one page easiy - for example https://librivox.org/group/430 will show all the 5 anniversary projects. You can find the link for example on https://librivox.org/charles-dickens-200th-anniversary-collection-vol-1-by-charles-dickens/ under the Genre and Language beneath the summary

i noticed somewhere else you mentioned a first anniversay collection, can you give me a link?
And I think the idea of an obscure words thread is good - I'm happy to help you set it up if you'd like ?

Anne
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Tricia:

Thank you for your comments. I agree with you that some collections should not necessarily be invigorated, but in the interest of completeness of this list I tried to include everything that was in the catalog--although I did try to screen out the collections of things put together and read by a single individual. I may not have been entirely successful in that and may need to review it.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Anne:

Thanks for your comments. I figured out about half way through this about the collections which have their own index (like the anniversary collections.) I tried to redo the links, but evidently missed the one for the anniversary collection (and being fallible, probably have missed others)--so I will revisit them and be sure that if there is an index board it is in the link. For those that are unindexed, I have used the latest completed collection--I'm open to another approach there, too.

I went back and looked at the first anniversary collection last night, and it looked to me (this time) like it may be more in the nature of a podcast--still--it's what we have from that year--and, realizing it does not show up with the other collections, I would suggest it belongs on that same index board even if it was a podcast. Here is the link https://archive.org/details/lv_anniversary_2006

I assume the obscure words thing is the word menagerie I have been discussing with several librivoxers. I'd appreciate your help. I haven't fully fleshed out the idea just yet, but I should have a more concrete starting point in a few days. If that wasn't it...then my memory (not my computer's) may have failed.

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Hello everyone.

I have another thought which I'm going to share here, which occurred to me while doing the collection of collections and which I have privately discussed with some librivoxers. There is no anniversary collection for librivox years 2-4. Now I've only participated in one anniversary collection (obviously) and there's really no way to retroactively create anniversary collections for those years in the current style. But I think using a slightly modified approach--suggested by the year 1 anniversary "program" could allow us to retroactively create and celebrate those early readers, proof listeners, admins and others and their readings. I'm working on elaborating on that idea as well. I would be willing to spear head the "grunt work" of those collections (sort of like a bc/pl role) BUT, I would need lots of assistance from folks who have been here lots longer than me in deciding what to select and leave out (my idea is that that would not be an individual, but a group decision and then if I needed to re-listen to the selections to boost the amplification or whatever, I could do that). Come to think of it, here's a post on a board for a project I'm PL-ing where I have set down my current thoughts---

"... I also noticed that the year 1 collection, instead of being pieces chosen by readers specifically for the collection, consisted of pieces selected from the readings done at the end of the year.

So I got to thinking what if we (the collective librivox we) used the methods of the year 1 collection and retroactively created anniversary collections for years 2, 3, and 4? I would be willing to do the "grunt work" and would suggest that a starting point would be selections from readers who were important in the early years or who cannot be with us any more. Pick about 2 dozen or so, readings, put them in a collection (we could even do a blurb which notes that the collection was put together retroactively)..... ON the flip side, if there are others who would prefer to do this instead of me, that's ok, too--I'd be willing to help out in any way..."

There are still at least two readers on the boards who participated in the first anniversary collection. There are probably many others.

I do not know if this is a good idea, if I'm the appropriate person to participate, or if there's a better sort of format by which to do this. But its here and I'll take whatever comments, suggestions, etc, I can get.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

When Librivox first started - I wasn't here then so others more senior members are free to tell us if I'm wrong they used to use a podcast sample of recordings as publicity and they were indeed chapters or bits of projects that were recorded and catalogued. At some stage before I arrived they ceased and it became policy that the same recording may not appear in different projects. This didn't mean that the same text could not be read in more than 1 place just that the original reader or another reader had to make a new recording.
The Anniversary projects aren't celebrations of the readers , they are a fun thing in which anyone can contribute something that includes the anniversary number in the title (with some restrictions) So I don't think that it would be possible to post produce those from the years before as we can't use existing recordings. And although there is nothing to stop someone producing a collection of pieces with 1 , 2, 3, 4, 100, million etc. in the titles it wouldn't in my opinion be an anniversay collection , just a numerical collection which may appeal to readers.

Anne
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Thank you, Anne, for correcting my understanding of the anniversary collections and enlightening me on librivox policy. I will proceed with other projects rather than go any further down that road.

I don't see anything terribly complicated about the word menagerie. I just wondered if there would be enough interest for it to be self sustaining...

What I had in mind is that we all run across unfamiliar and archaic words in our readings and I thought it would be fun to have a discussion board where we shared the words we had read (possibly together with their definition--some people I know like also to discuss the derivations of the words and so forth. The board would be multilingual (I think an interesting part of the board could be to discuss non-English words that have no precise English equivalents, and English words that have no precise equivalents in other languages.)

But anyway, I see some interest in such a board...but I'll wait a bit before I actually put it up.

Many thanks,

Philip