Audacity 2.2.2 Release

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

RajVO wrote: March 9th, 2018, 12:15 am 1. Audacity is free. How much is Reaper?
2. And switching calls for some learning (and unlearning)!
PS: how is your experience with (free) ocenaudio, which has the punch in feature.
Ardour is free, too, and a bit more like Reaper, as it sounds.

I don't know ocenaudio; I had some people do tests with it. From the screenshots, it looks like a fancier Audacity with maybe (I am not sure) less functions :) Way sufficient for LibriVox, I'd say and a good programm to begin with, I suspect. No DAW, as Reaper or Ardour.
RajVO wrote: March 8th, 2018, 3:56 pm Good analysis. Noise management of course looks more important than the signal itself. :D
How about addressing it both at the beginning and at the end too?
Best to avoid it in the first hand :D Ardour for example doesn't have a noise removing tool (or I didn't find it yet). You need to work with equalizer which is kind of challenging :).
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

PS: how is your experience with (free) ocenaudio, which has the punch in feature.
I paid $60 for my license of Reaper. Yes, the interface is a bit different. What I found so far is that (a) it's highly customizable, (b) I only use a tiny fraction of its capabilities so it's not too much to learn, (c) there is so much on the web on how to do things in Reaper that one will always find help. My experience with ocenaudio is very limited. I tried it a couple of times, and found that I needed to change my thinking from Audacity (the only product I had been exposed to) and wasn't prepared to set myself back while I was learning it (at the time I was recording more than I do now). You will need to ask somebody who knows both ocenaudio and Reaper to get a more just comparison.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
RajVO

Post by RajVO »

moniaqua wrote: March 9th, 2018, 1:57 am
Ardour is free, too, and a bit more like Reaper, as it sounds.

I don't know ocenaudio; I had some people do tests with it. From the screenshots, it looks like a fancier Audacity with maybe (I am not sure) less functions :) Way sufficient for LibriVox, I'd say and a good programm to begin with, I suspect. No DAW, as Reaper or Ardour.
RajVO wrote: March 8th, 2018, 3:56 pm Good analysis. Noise management of course looks more important than the signal itself. :D
How about addressing it both at the beginning and at the end too?
Best to avoid it in the first hand :D Ardour for example doesn't have a noise removing tool (or I didn't find it yet). You need to work with equalizer which is kind of challenging :).
Yes. Challenging. There are so many effects and features, that need to be understood technically, and practically. And finally what one likes may not be liked by others. :D
My Project Catalog
Cheers, Raj.
RajVO

Post by RajVO »

tovarisch wrote: March 9th, 2018, 5:16 am
I paid $60 for my license of Reaper. Yes, the interface is a bit different. What I found so far is that (a) it's highly customizable, (b) I only use a tiny fraction of its capabilities so it's not too much to learn, (c) there is so much on the web on how to do things in Reaper that one will always find help. My experience with ocenaudio is very limited. I tried it a couple of times, and found that I needed to change my thinking from Audacity (the only product I had been exposed to) and wasn't prepared to set myself back while I was learning it (at the time I was recording more than I do now). You will need to ask somebody who knows both ocenaudio and Reaper to get a more just comparison.
Good points from your experience. Thanks.
I too tried few other free DAW's, and audacity looks better than many other free.
And the couple of paid ones i tried, are charging in phases, for new features and releases.
Don't know about the Reaper tho.
My Project Catalog
Cheers, Raj.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I know it's hard to keep threads on topic , but this started out as a place for comments about changes in the latest version of Audacity so that people upgrading would be able to know what changes they could expect - and it's badly off topic. Please try noot to sabotage threads which would serve a useful purpose , start another thread if you wish to discuss other topics - there are a number of different programs available , all of which suit some people and don't suit others . If one was perfect for everyone for everything the others would not be written .

Anne
RajVO

Post by RajVO »

Thanks Anne, for pointing out.
Sure. This can be left for the latest release of Audacity.
My Project Catalog
Cheers, Raj.