An Interesting Discovery...

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
BookAngel7

Post by BookAngel7 »

I'll preface this with the fact that it is not a complaint--just an interesting and slightly humorous observation. All my recordings and the summaries I've written have been fully released into the public domain for people to butcher as they like. :mrgreen:

I happened to check Goodreads today for one of the obscure books that I read as a solo and noticed that the description was the one that I had written for the LibriVox version! Super fun!
When the God-fearing Herzog of Thuringia dies, the Irish missionary settlements face the wrath of his bitterly heathen wife, Geila, and her son, now Herzog Hedan. But when Hedan falls in love with Bilihild, a young Christian maiden, he offers peace to his Christian subjects if Bilihild will become his wife. As Bilihild strives to love her new husband and protect her people, she faces increasing difficulty and danger, especially from her jealous mother-in-law. As the clouds thicken around her, Bilihild must put her entire reliance on the God whom she honors and loves.
Then, just out of curiosity, I followed some of the book links to see where they'd take me and found a CD version for sale on Amazon. (Again, not a problem because it's public domain, the CD is an added value, etc.) What made my eyebrows go up was the Amazon description, which looks like someone went through it with a thesaurus...
When the pious Herzog of Thuringia perishes, the Irish missionary communities face the indignation of his angrily agnostic wife, Geila, and her son, now Herzog Hedan. However, when Hedan falls head over heels with Bilihild, a juvenile Christian girl, he proposes peace to his Christian lieges if Bilihild will become his wife. As Bilihild aims to learn to love her new husband and saves her people, she meets rising predicament and peril, especially from her envious mother-in-law. As the clouds curdle surrounding her, Bilihild should place her entire faith on the God whom she respects and adores.
Yep, even though I released the summary into the public domain along with the recording, it's still a bit painful. Especially when some of the substitutions don't even make sense. (Agnostic and juvenile give a completely wrong picture, and I've never heard of clouds curdling...) :roll: Reminds me a bit of my desperate middle-school attempts to avoid plagiarism! :lol:

Hope this gives someone else a good laugh or a good groan, whichever feels most appropriate. I'm doing both!

bookAngel7
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

That's hilarious! :lol:
Adele

Post by mightyfelix »

I like the replacing of "must" with "should". Totally works. Yep. :lol:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It sounds like a google translate :D Though maybe it's the product of someone typing it up with an "improve your writing" enabled

Anne
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

I recorded this poem: https://www.poetrylibrary.edu.au/poets/evans-george-essex/the-sword-of-pain-0015012

Look where (among other places), it wound up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssfgg8tWZIo

Oh well, maybe it will do some good there, all unawares, as it were.
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
BookAngel7

Post by BookAngel7 »

mightyfelix wrote: February 10th, 2018, 10:42 pm I like the replacing of "must" with "should". Totally works. Yep. :lol:
Oh, yes, that's a good one! I also love "rising predicament and peril"! :lol:
annise wrote: February 11th, 2018, 1:33 am It sounds like a google translate :D Though maybe it's the product of someone typing it up with an "improve your writing" enabled

Anne
Yeah, it definitely reads like there was some sort of automation involved. :P