TEXT LINK in project template.

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
msfry

Post by msfry »

The New Project Template has a problem. When you click on the TEXT SOURCE link, it closes out your project page instead of opening up a new window. You can no longer toggle between the two. The workaround is to copy the link, open a new window, and paste it into the browser's address window, but this is inelegant, not as simple as before.

The same is true, when you, as BC Admin, open up the MW, it closes out your project page instead of opening up a new window. And if you X out the MW, you also X out your project page.

"Open in a new window" is just a single line command in the code, which I hope somebody can add back in.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

We are aware that links are opening in the same window. They will stay this way - unfortunately for those who are used to it the other way.

The web standard nowadays is to open in the same window. The sysadmin determined that hard-coding links in the forum to open in a new tab causes problems down the road, so he recommended against it.

I'm not sure if changing the text link to open in a new window, while all other links on the forum open in the same window, would be a good thing. Wouldn't it be better to get used to doing Control-click (or Command-click on a Mac) or right click/select "open in a new tab" for all links you want opened in a new tab/window rather than trying to remember which automatically open and which don't? :hmm:

EDIT TO ADD: And, by the way, the template generator isn't easy code. We were able to fix some long-standing issues with it recently, but even adding a line break is confusing, apparently. So I am sure making a link open in a new window/tab in the template generator coding isn't simply adding "target=_blank" to the html (and not just because it's BBcode and not html). ;)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
msfry

Post by msfry »

Okay, right click, Open In A New Tab, or Open In A New Window. It works fine. Let's hope everybody gets this memo.

I have not noticed this becoming an industry standard yet, but it does seem consistent throughout the LV platform (as far as I've looked)! Then there is always the trusty BACK button.

I look forward to seeing the improvements to the new template. Fingers crossed my few suggestions made it onto the list. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I meant that the changes have already been made. Just band-aid stuff right now - adding the _128kb to the file name, closing the /b bolding tag after "all lower case", and there was one other thing - Oh, yeah, adding a space in the uploading instructions to the uploader link worked. But now on the solo template, the login/password image is on the same line as the uploader link. :? So that got broken when the other things were fixed.

BUT we do plan on revamping the template generator in the "near" future!
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
msfry

Post by msfry »

:thumbs: