Audioliterature and Audible

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Perhaps it's time to reconsider whether we work in the public domain or under a creative commons licence?
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

What is the reason why the audiobooks are published as PD?

By all accounts I will make sure that my friends know what audible does so that they can choose whether they want to pay for free stuff or not.

And I know where I'll think twice whether I want to by a book there...
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Availle wrote: February 5th, 2018, 7:08 am Good idea SOTE, but how do you find out who has purchased those "fake" LibriVox recordings - short of hacking audible's databases I mean?
Hacking audible’s databases would be like cloning a human being ... illegal, time-consuming and completely unnecessary in light of alternatives.

You let the purchasers tell us.

For example ... bought audiobooks often show up later “file-shared” to YouTube and other places. If a simple search of title or name shows this, leave a comment on the person’s Youtube channel pointing out that they’ve been conned into buying something available for free. The fact that they themselves were trying to share it to others for free will probably not stop them from feeling aggrieved that they themselves paid for it. Then they may complain to audible, and word-of-mouth too may kick in.

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Peter Why wrote: February 5th, 2018, 10:19 am Perhaps it's time to reconsider whether we work in the public domain or under a creative commons licence?
Peter
Who would enforce the CC license?

Someone grabs Moby Dick from us (CC license) and shifts the voice a bit, then publishes it to Audible under a different narrator name.
(1) Who monitors this, if anyone?
(2) When such things are found, who contacts Audible?
(3) Would Audible say anything different (i.e. different than "talk to the publisher")?
(4) If the publisher is able to be contacted but doesn't comply, what then?
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Doesn't legamus produce its recordings under a CC licence?
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Peter Why wrote: February 5th, 2018, 1:51 pm Doesn't legamus produce its recordings under a CC licence?
No. They release also into PD.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Peter Why wrote: February 5th, 2018, 1:51 pm Doesn't legamus produce its recordings under a CC licence?
Peter
CC0 = public domain
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Ähm, CC0 is public domain ;)
https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

edit - sometimes I hate the edit-function ;)
Last edited by moniaqua on February 5th, 2018, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Yes, I was wrong and that's why I deleted my message. Sorry.
tovarisch
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

tovarisch wrote: February 5th, 2018, 2:12 pmSorry.
I guess I survived :lol:
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

I think audible is hurting themselves. Although not very tuned into this market I noticed that many distributors who have been including audiobooks have lately either pulled all audiobook content or have begun severely limiting access or demanding additional credits (cash) per listen when it used to be all-you-can-eat. As a good foil to how Zappos created a extraloyal customer base with excellent customer service, Audible, by charging so much per month and permitting so few listens, and at the same time letting a consumer spend their scarce credits on a book they could have gotten for free, at better quality, over at LV, is the type of thing that will alienate some of their base for good and let others know they don't respect their customers.

(If a company feels a sort of contempt for their buyers I think it's okay to allow them to show it.)
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

smike wrote: February 4th, 2018, 7:09 am
MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 4:39 am Cori,
I complained to Audible, they pushed me off to ACX or something, and when I complained there, they said to contact the publisher. So no, they don't care. And since I don't have and Audible account I can't write a review to let folks know that I am the reader and a non-pitch shifted version is available for free.
MaryAnn
MaryAnn, from what I know, having an audible membership wouldn't change a thing, because you can only post a review on audible if you've purchased the audio book there. I think posting a review on Amazon would be the only option.
I’m a narrator on ACX, and on Librivox too. I find it appalling that some people are passing themselves off as “publishers” and re-publishing Librivox audiobooks, with altered pitch voices and fake names. This is obviously pirated, and should be illegal. It is, of course, legal to publish anything that is PD, and sell it, if you wish, but it should be your own transcription of the text, and your own voice on that audiobook, or an ACX narrator that you hired through ACX, to work specifically in that text for you. Posting a review won’t do anything. ACX needs to be contacted about this. I haven’t listened to any of the texts mentioned here, but if any of you know specifically of any pirated copies, and you have proof of their existence on Audible, you should contact ACX directly. Let me know if you need any help reaching them.
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Ealswythe wrote: February 5th, 2018, 6:00 pm This is obviously pirated, and should be illegal.
With all due respect, if it's public domain, it's not piracy to do anything one wants with it. It's not piracy to sunbathe or to breathe the air. It just isn't, please get over it.

That said, I don't know about ACX and their requirements as to who should be the narrator, and whether fake names on pitch-altered recordings are violations of ACX user agreement. That's where those "publishers" might be had, but not on "piracy" claims.
tovarisch
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You are right - but it is also my understanding that you can not claim copyright on something if you do not own it.
People are entitled to state their views whether you consider them right or wrong around here :D

Anne
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

tovarisch wrote: February 5th, 2018, 6:20 pm
Ealswythe wrote: February 5th, 2018, 6:00 pm This is obviously pirated, and should be illegal.
With all due respect, if it's public domain, it's not piracy to do anything one wants with it. It's not piracy to sunbathe or to breathe the air. It just isn't, please get over it.

That said, I don't know about ACX and their requirements as to who should be the narrator, and whether fake names on pitch-altered recordings are violations of ACX user agreement. That's where those "publishers" might be had, but not on "piracy" claims.
When I said it’s pirated, I was referring to the fact that some people on the forum have claimed that “publishers” on ACX are taking already recorded narrations of other narrators on LV, and submitting them under a fake name, with altered voices. That is illegal, and I think it does violate the rules of ACX, although they don’t specifically address that issue, in their official rules.
Of course, if it is PD, anyone can transcribe it themselves, publish it on Amazon, then record it themselves, and submit it to ACX for audiobook publication. That is not violating anything.
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772