So, how about your LibriVox New Year, then?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Cori

Post by Cori »

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Our Aussie and Kiwi LibriVoxers are in 2018 already ... Japan's coming up shortly ... followed by the rest of us ... and I don't know who our last person will be, as I don't know if we have anyone volunteering from American Samoa. :?:

I thought a double-whammy thread might be fun. Tell us if you had any 2017 LibriVox resolutions and how they went. What was your LibriVox highlight of the year? Did you hit any milestones that were especially meaningful to you? Are you're making any 2018 resolutions? In the past, some people have resolved to contribute to every Weekly Poetry, push a certain book over the finish line, listen to all the works of a particular author, try their first Dramatic Reading, solo, etc. etc.

AND, if you're up for it -- record yourself reading your post! :D I'd like to make a quick New Year podcast, so if you have time in the next 24 hours, please go for it. Files can be uploaded to my folder in the uploader, titled something sensible like postcast2018_your-initials.mp3 :mrgreen: Post here to let me know you've sent it, or send me a private message. I don't mind noise-cleaning and editing, if that's too much faff for something so short. ;) ALSO, if you don't have time to record, or you volunteer here in non-recording ways, but would be happy for someone else to read your post, please again let me know. The more the merrier! Deadline most strictly 24hrs from time of this post!!

:9: I hope 2018 is good to all of you, in every way you'd like it to be. :9:
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

here's a snippet from me: <link snipped>
I hope it works! and I hope others have sent in some new year's thoughts too. thanks for doing another podcast!

I had no particular 2017 goals, but...
I did complete my first solo, took on BC responsibilities to complete a dramatic work-- Caliban and the Yellow Sands-- and helped celebrate the 12th anniversary with song and podcast. I also presented academic talks about LibriVox at two conferences last year.

for 2018, I want to PL more poetry and find more beautiful LV voices to add to my favourites lists. I want to finish or at least make progress on my next solo (which has been crawling along, barely alive lately).
and I am also going to finish my dissertation, which is all about the work of this lovely, diverse LibriVox community. I'll set some more goals in July if I can make good on these three before then.

happy new year to everyone.
Last edited by Cori on January 1st, 2018, 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I downloaded the file, so now it's sekrit until the podcast is ready :)
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
Cori

Post by Cori »

It does work, thank you Amelia! And I like the idea of a mid-year review with more goals, that's a good way to do it, rather than oversubscribing at the start of the year. Best of luck with your dissertation!

I'm putting together my script now, so if anyone else wants to contribute in audio or text, whizz it on over in the next hour. :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Don’t have time to record, but....

I’d known about and listened to Librivox recordings a little before this last year, but REALLY got into it this year.

My goals for 2017 were simple: get a microphone and learn how to record and edit recordings, and start contributing. I did so in the second half of the year and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

In 2017 I

—Got started recording for Librivox and learned basic audio editing
—Contributed at least one section to 12 projects
—started and completed my first solo book
—listened to parts of tons of books and the whole book of quite a few, including 3 complete Dickens novels*

*Ive had a goal for many years to read all of Dickens works in order, and started a few years ago when I discovered that one of my favourite Audible readers, Simon Vance, had recorded a bunch of them. I have several of his, but when I discovered the wonderful Mil Nichols Dickens books here for free, I really got going. I had already read Pickwick and listened to Vance’s Oliver Twist and Nickleby. This year I re listened to Mil’s version of Nickleby (I really like that novel) plus The Old Curiosity Shop and Barnaby Rudge, and Peter Keeble’s excellent recording of Martin Chuzzlewit. I’ve just started Dombey and Son.

2018 goals:

—Finish my current solo by Feb 1
—Record at least 4 more solos
—participate in as many non fiction collab projects as possible, focusing on helping complete projects that have been languishing a while
—Contribute to each NF collection this year
—Contribute to the 13th anniversary collection if one happens
—Begin to be a proof listener as well
—Keep track of my listening so next year I can say how many complete Librivox recordings I listened to
—Finish Dombey, plus David Copperfield and Bleak House. All 3 are some of his longest so I will be content to just get through them. D.C. and BH are widely considered 2 of his best so I am looking forward to them!

I’ll let you know in 365 days how I did!
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I decided that I am going to do some recording on my current project later today so I will record this then and upload before I dig into my reading!
Colleen McMahon

Cori

Post by Cori »

Eeek! I've just finished the show, Colleen. But, if you want to go ahead anyway, it gives us a running start for a show in a fortnight's time. :D

For anyone who'd like to listen to today's podcast, it's here, and 9 mins 35 secs short, but perfectly formed IMO.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Oh, no worries! Will you be doing more resolutions in that episode? I don’t want to be the only one!

And Happy New Year to all!
Colleen McMahon