Section 108(h)

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Has anyone seen this yet?

https://blog.archive.org/2017/10/10/books-from-1923-to-1941-now-liberated/

Apparently the Internet Archive is making use of an obscure clause in public domain law to begin to make available certain books published up to 1941.

Could this become an opportunity for us here, as well?
Cori

Post by Cori »

No, not good for us just yet. The copyright status of those books hasn't changed! As I understand it, they're all still in copyright, but are made available to read, in a similar way to library books. Hence 'library public domain' rather than just 'public domain'.

Though, that said, it does create the opportunity for people to pick out books published in 1923 that they'd like to read, and make a head start on them via the scans. :D They can't be put on our server until 1st Jan 2019, so no launching projects that aren't yet legal ... but no harm in getting the files all queued up on your home computer over the next year and a bit. ;) 8-)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Cori

Post by Cori »

Also, I laughed myself silly at the naming of the collection. :lol: Best 'in-joke' ever! :lol:
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Me too :D
Anne