LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently November 22nd, 2017, 10:08 pm

Post Posted:: October 23rd, 2017, 5:58 pm 

Has anyone seen this yet?

https://blog.archive.org/2017/10/10/books-from-1923-to-1941-now-liberated/

Apparently the Internet Archive is making use of an obscure clause in public domain law to begin to make available certain books published up to 1941.

Could this become an opportunity for us here, as well?

I'll be mostly unavailable now through Tuesday 11/28. Happy Thanksgiving, US LibriVoxers!

If you're waiting on a section from me, never fear! I have a lot of stuff recorded, and will have an editing party when I come home!

Post Posted:: October 24th, 2017, 3:10 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

No, not good for us just yet. The copyright status of those books hasn't changed! As I understand it, they're all still in copyright, but are made available to read, in a similar way to library books. Hence 'library public domain' rather than just 'public domain'.

Though, that said, it does create the opportunity for people to pick out books published in 1923 that they'd like to read, and make a head start on them via the scans. :D They can't be put on our server until 1st Jan 2019, so no launching projects that aren't yet legal ... but no harm in getting the files all queued up on your home computer over the next year and a bit. ;) 8-)

Post Posted:: October 24th, 2017, 3:15 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Also, I laughed myself silly at the naming of the collection. :lol: Best 'in-joke' ever! :lol:

Post Posted:: October 24th, 2017, 3:19 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Me too :D
Anne