Digital Humanities conference in Pennsylvania

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

I want to write a proposal for a session at this interesting-looking conference--
Our (Digital) Humanity: Storytelling, Media Organizing and Social Justice conference in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, April 20-22, 2018

they're looking for "scholars, media makers, public historians, artists, designers, technologists, and social justice activists," and the submission form encourages collaboration across institutions and organizations. I think it'd be awesome to assemble a group of LibriVoxers and do a cool panel about all the collaboration, creativity, and generosity that happens at LibriVox. we could even include a tutorial section about how to volunteer, too. it would be a fun chance to raise awareness about LV.

is anyone interested, even in just talking through ideas? post here, or PM me and we can brainstorm! the deadline to propose something is about 1 month away-- November 15. the submission form mentions that fee waivers and travel scholarships are available, which could come in handy I'm sure.
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
RepublicOfVermont
Location: δtsopiaV0175 (ψ-accessible only), μultiverse ΚΣΔ π^-.9

Post by RepublicOfVermont »

>>> Lehigh University is a well-known and respected University. <<<
(personal note: My Mother went there back when it was a female-only university. She had a career as a technical specifications writer on various nuclear power plant projects up and down the east coast (though mostly in the mid-Atlantic area.)

This looks especially interesting: https://wordpress.lehigh.edu/odh2018/how-to-workshops-trainings

“ Call for Participation:

We seek proposals from radio producers, photographers, videographers, map-makers, librarians, web and graphic designers and those who have skills to share with others. We are most excited about workshops that utilize accessible (free or inexpensive and open-source) technologies such as making videos on a smartphone or tablet, podcasting from home or Graphic Design 101. We will prioritize trainings that can be realistically offered in a 90-minute session and we will consider the possibility of a double session training that has two 90-minute sessions. We are excited about presenters that are women or come from other marginalized identities; we do not want to reproduce the narrative that technology is solely the domain of white men. We are interested in sessions that are targeted towards beginners, are accessible, and build essential job skills. We would also like to see some sessions target a more advanced audience. ”

There's a proposal form direct from Lehigh University here: docs.google.com/forms/d/1QDEfvoQMssOOuE_VMuPniqkxChwMOJbPSvBJkBHarI4/viewform?edit_requested=true
WHITE PHOSPHORUS was dropped on Palestine tonight.
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

RepublicOfVermont wrote:>>> Lehigh University is a well-known and respected University. <<<
(personal note: My Mother went there back when it was a female-only university. She had a career as a technical specifications writer on various nuclear power plant projects up and down the east coast (though mostly in the mid-Atlantic area.)

This looks especially interesting: https://wordpress.lehigh.edu/odh2018/how-to-workshops-trainings

“ Call for Participation:

We seek proposals from radio producers, photographers, videographers, map-makers, librarians, web and graphic designers and those who have skills to share with others. We are most excited about workshops that utilize accessible (free or inexpensive and open-source) technologies such as making videos on a smartphone or tablet, podcasting from home or Graphic Design 101. We will prioritize trainings that can be realistically offered in a 90-minute session and we will consider the possibility of a double session training that has two 90-minute sessions. We are excited about presenters that are women or come from other marginalized identities; we do not want to reproduce the narrative that technology is solely the domain of white men. We are interested in sessions that are targeted towards beginners, are accessible, and build essential job skills. We would also like to see some sessions target a more advanced audience. ”

There's a proposal form direct from Lehigh University here: docs.google.com/forms/d/1QDEfvoQMssOOuE_VMuPniqkxChwMOJbPSvBJkBHarI4/viewform?edit_requested=true
that's neat that your mother went there! and she was a technical writer! (that is my field too, though I've become more academic than practitioner at this point.)
I actually just applied for a faculty position at Lehigh-- it looked awesome, so I hope to hear back from them.

and yes! the workshop segment would be especially neat to participate in. I wonder if they would like to see a "How to record free public domain audio books" workshop?
it could cover a little bit of finding source texts, some of the ins and outs of the LV forums and process, and then the actual recording/listening/editing processes.

I think it would be worth proposing, just to see what could happen!

who knows how many LVers are near Bethlehem Pennsylvania, though.
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
RepublicOfVermont
Location: δtsopiaV0175 (ψ-accessible only), μultiverse ΚΣΔ π^-.9

Post by RepublicOfVermont »

They are open to anything so long as it utilizes FOSS to accomplish media production. I'd say LibriVox utiilizing Audacity, for example, most especially in a Linux environment, in producing audiobooks from Public Domain works and releasing everything into the Public Domain qualifies to meet and exceeds the basic requirements outlined. Considering the worldwide community of volunteers here, I'd think Lehigh would be open to a presentation given by only a few of the overall number contributors I believe would happily volunteer a bit of their time in helping to create the presentation.

I wish you all the best in your academic career. May it be all you want it to be.
WHITE PHOSPHORUS was dropped on Palestine tonight.