Incorrect Life+50 Copyright Warning ...

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
carteki

Post by carteki »

Volunteers outside the USA: Knut Hamsun died in 1952. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955) or Canada (author's death plus 50 years), UNLESS the rule of shorter term applies
This is the 2nd project where I've seen a Canada copyright warning.
Authors death + 50 years means that the "death date" is currently 1966, not 1952.

I don't know if the automated 1st para text can be fixed, but MC's please keep a look out for this on new project launches.

Thanks
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Which project is it ? I'd like to check why it has happened ?

Anne
carteki

Post by carteki »

It happened to me on J.S. Bach. The quote above is from another thread where the project wasn't continued with.
You can set up as many new projects for authors who died before 1966 as you like and it'll happen again and again and again...
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Ok , I've had a good look - I was a bit confused because I knew we didn't have an open project for Kurt Hamsun
I'll add changing the wording to the wanted list for the next upgrade , it isn't something we can change ourselves in the template. The template generator just compares the EU PD date before adding the warning . And there are a lot of countries which don't even get a mention .
I do usually remove the Australian and Canadian bit if they don't apply , and there's no reason why the BC's couldn't remove it too.
Thanks for reminding me about it

Anne
carteki

Post by carteki »

I'm aware that BC's can remove it, however even I am loathe to mess with copyright info unless I am 100% sure otherwise - and I did have a question for the MC who picked up the Bach project to check (question wasn't noted, but indirectly answered anyways so I updated the post). Hence I think that the MC's should change this rather than BC's.

Kim