Musical additions to Librivox files

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
msfry

Post by msfry »

I began listening to the novel, Joseph Andrews last night (recorded in 2010 by Denny Sayers), and was stunned to hear each chapter open with piano music and end with a music box tune. Please tell me about that, and if that is still allowed.

I seem to recall hearing somewhere that the piano interlude was created for Librivox.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

No , not allowed unless it's in the text. Or it's a collection like hymns or carols. Mainly becuse it is so difficult to determine PD status of the music, the arranger and the player.

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

No longer allowed. I don't know exactly when they were no longer allowed. I'm pretty sure it was before my time as an admin, because I don't remember discussing it.

Personally, they annoy me. When I listen to such recordings (which I download to listen), I import them into Audacity and chop out the musical intro/outro. (Same with any sound effects in the intro/outro - like sea birds, war guns, etc.)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Cori

Post by Cori »

It was several years ago ... I don't remember when, either. I used one in my solo from 2007, IIRC, but not since. A few readers' musical intros were getting longer and longer* ... so ... rather than trying to figure out a perfect definition**, we went with the Plain Vanilla, Just The Facts, Ma'am approach.

[Edited to add: if the piano interlude was the one here: then yes, that was indeed written and performed for LibriVox community podcasts and people making podcasts about LibriVox.

* Actually, possibly an interesting side-effect of how most people here produce books over several months. I've found it unfortunately all too easy to forget that they aren't listened to over the same period, and suspect that's how a charming intro tune for each chapter can quickly become the TripleDent Gum theme.

** Ending up as a 'You can have up to 5.5 seconds of music by a composer dead over 100 years and performed in specific named countries, as a formally-certified public domain release' type legal-tastic scenario. :roll: :wink:
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

*** and because one man's music is another's nightmare :D :shock:

Annd