In Memoriam

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

icequeen wrote: October 21st, 2020, 12:11 pm We have heard that Tim Bulkeley (tim bulkeley) has died. His wife, Barbara, has PM'ed me a little bit about Tim.

Tim's dates were 1948 - 2019. He was an Old Testament lecturer (retired) originally from England, taught in Congo (when it was Zaire in the 1980s), in New Zealand where we came in 1993, and from 2010 onwards we went to the Philippines. Sri Lanka &Thailand to teach also. He really enjoyed reading, making a range of videos and had a wonderful way with words.
https://librivox.org/reader/753
May God give rest to his soul!

Peace be with you,
Sister
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Tim was always a pleasure to work with,

Anne
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I have added a new paragraph for Tim to the first post (filed in with 2019).

I know it's not a nice topic to talk about or plan for, but it's a good idea to make a list of all your (online) friends you'd like to be informed in case of your death and make sure your family can find it when the time comes...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thank you for letting us know Ann. I first heard Tim in The Woman in White, https://librivox.org/the-woman-in-white-by-wilkie-collins/, his voice was perfect for Walter Hartright and his reading on that project was a big reason that I got hooked on LV!

MaryAnn
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Very sorry to hear this.

Tim was a marvellous reader and produced several great solos, including some notable readings of P. G. Wodehouse.

LV readers should in particular check out the delightful recording of More William by Richmal Crompton, in which Tim and Barbara collaborated.
https://librivox.org/more-william-by-richmal-crompton-2/
Last edited by Algy Pug on October 30th, 2020, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Cruelle »

Rest in peace to all of the volunteers of times gone by. Ray Kasper gave me a lot of laughs with his dramatic recordings of Shakespeare. I’ll try to check out some of the others.
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Listening to Beth Thomas makes me feel like I know her and she's still around. If you're missing anyone, listen to their recordings and you'll forget they're away.
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
ductapeguy

Post by ductapeguy »

I haven't hung out around librivox for years, but I just saw on Facebook that Kristin Hughes @Kristin has passed away suddenly. Her husband posted on her facebook page. I don't know any other details. May she Rest in Peace.
[size=84] Sean McGaughey
Librivox: [url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=231]Catalog[/url] | [url=http://ductapeguy.net]ductapeguy.net-- My music and podcasts[/url][/size]
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

We have learned that Kristin Hughes (forum name Kristin) passed away last night in her sleep.

We don't know anything else at this time.

She had been an admin, but hasn't been around since about 2013.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: August 25th, 2021, 1:55 pm We have learned that Kristin Hughes (forum name Kristin) passed away last night in her sleep.

We don't know anything else at this time.

She had been an admin, but hasn't been around since about 2013.
Hmmmmmm. I was just listening to Kristin's solo SECOND APRIL, a recitation of poems by Edna St. Vincent Millay. She's an excellent reader, and this book is a testament to that, and her heartfelt love of literature! Thank you so much for letting us know about this fallen one, I hope to hear more, and that her family will be apprised of our appreciation of Kristin's contributions to Librivox.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I've added a line to the first post.
Thanks for mentioning her poetry Michele!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Claire

Post by Claire »

I was so sorry to learn of Kristin's passing. I saw her
husband's post on Facebook. She will be sorely missed.

Lee Ann
RCHughes

Post by RCHughes »

I am Kristin's husband and wanted to share some information. Even though she had become less active at LibriVox it and its community always remained dear to her heart. While I only dabbled in LibriVox many years ago I was always an enthusiastic supporter of your endeavor and Kristin's contributions to it. I am gratified that I now have access to 100's of recordings of Kristin's voice.

I wanted to reach out directly to some of you who have commented, but it seems I would need to be active on the forums first. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions or comments you may have.

Kristin (Ekdahl) Hughes (1974-2021) passed away unexpectedly on August 25, 2021. Kristin touched so many with her fearlessness, talent, creativity, kindness and generosity. To include all of her cherished friends and family who are scattered across the country we are holding a collaborative virtual service to celebrate her amazing life on Saturday, October 2nd, 2021 at 2:00-3:30 PM CST on Zoom. An opportunity to reminisce or share stories will be available at the conclusion of the service.

To register for this event, sign a guestbook or leave a memory of Kristin please go to: https://afterword.com/stories/kristin-hughes

Whether it was in community theatre, with LibriVox, NaNoWriMo or something else, Kristin enjoyed participatory events where many people came together to create something special. In that spirit please consider participating by providing any favorite photos or video clips, pre-recorded stories or poetry readings, songs performed solo or collaboratively that you think Kristin would enjoy. Any members of the LibriVox community are also welcome to recommend their favorite of Kristin’s recordings or projects.

In lieu of flowers please consider making a donation to the Kristin Hughes (Ekdahl) Memorial Scholarship Fund. Whether it was providing a room and a home cooked meal to travelling musicians, helping beginner audiobook readers set up their equipment, beta-reading novels or teaching an aunt how to crochet over YouTube, Kristin believed in the importance of art and was always passionate about supporting others in their artistic endeavours. This scholarship will support a student from Neenah High School, Kristin's alma mater, to pursue an education in the performing or creative arts.

Send donations to the Kristin Hughes (Ekdahl) Memorial Fund at the Oshkosh Area Community Foundation, 230 Ohio Street, Ste100, Oshkosh, WI 54902. Checks should be made payable to the Oshkosh Area Community Foundation with “Kristin Hughes (Ekdahl) Memorial Fund” written on the memo line.
To donate on-line use this link: https://www.oshkoshareacf.org/fund/kristin-hughes-ekdahl-memorial-fund/.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

That was a lovely memorial to Kristin, thank you for sharing!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

More sad news.

I have just received a message from Cathy Riley, the wife of Peter Thomlinson (lurcherlover), that Peter passed away on 10th June, after a long battle with cancer.

Members will remember not only Peter's many recordings, which include some brilliant solo renditions of works by Edgar Wallace and Andy Adams, but also the technical advice and encouragement he so generously shared with other readers.

A great loss.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page