LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently December 18th, 2017, 1:26 pm

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post Posted:: January 8th, 2006, 5:36 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

we might find some other volunteers who can do little editing on files with problems. here i'm thinking of repeats or loud noises of flowerpots crashing, etc.

Post Posted:: January 8th, 2006, 8:03 am 

Flowerpots crashing? :lol:

I was really happy to note that thadine did actually discover that there really was a 20-minute repeat in 01_06 of Pilgrim's Progress. That was one of the first posts I made here and I wasn't absolutely certain that I'd heard it properly...

~Mark Twain

Post Posted:: January 8th, 2006, 10:19 pm 

And of course, cats meowing and such. Or the mail program giving its little 'bing!' to let you know that "Something's come! Open me!!"

-Catharine, who thinks she's got one of those last in a recent recording and needs to fix it, but actually doesn't have any flowerpots indoors to go crashing about

Post Posted:: January 9th, 2006, 6:47 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

OK, I never tire of saying this, but my absolute favourite reader of literature online (and sometime librivox volunteer), is miette:
http://www.enivrez.com/bedtime/

her dog barks, trucks roll by, she loses her place, swears occasionally when she messes up, but she reads wonderfully from sublime stories ... and that's what matters. The little mistakes, technical problems etc, to me, add to the experience of listening. It makes it a very intimate sort of thing, you really feel as if someone is reading to you - rather than listening to a performance.

now I'm not suggesting that we *encourage* background noise. but we can certainly accept some.

hugh.

Post Posted:: January 9th, 2006, 10:11 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Yes, I don't mind the occasional email BING!, crashing flowerpot, dog bark, and parakeet chirp (i've got lots of those, I'm afraid). Sure, we should try to edit most of them out but if one slips through, no worries.

When I'm reading I get on a roll, and even if there's a bit of sudden background noise (chirp! chirp! chirp!) I HATE stopping my paragraph to wait 'til it's over. I edit out the noise that falls into silent spaces, but sometimes it's behind a word. Oh well.

In Aaron's chapter of Five Children, you can hear his little girl playing with her friends, and cars honking in the street outside, and it's charming -- really makes you feel closer to the reader, I think. Hey, he's a real person reading in his apartment while his kid plays nearby and taxis honk outside!

The kind of noise that really must be avoided is constant loud distracting background hum/whine/whirr/grind.

Kara

"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)