"Proof-Listening" Procedure Discussion

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

we might find some other volunteers who can do little editing on files with problems. here i'm thinking of repeats or loud noises of flowerpots crashing, etc.
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Flowerpots crashing? :lol:

I was really happy to note that thadine did actually discover that there really was a 20-minute repeat in 01_06 of Pilgrim's Progress. That was one of the first posts I made here and I wasn't absolutely certain that I'd heard it properly...
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

And of course, cats meowing and such. Or the mail program giving its little 'bing!' to let you know that "Something's come! Open me!!"

-Catharine, who thinks she's got one of those last in a recent recording and needs to fix it, but actually doesn't have any flowerpots indoors to go crashing about
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

OK, I never tire of saying this, but my absolute favourite reader of literature online (and sometime librivox volunteer), is miette:
http://www.enivrez.com/bedtime/

her dog barks, trucks roll by, she loses her place, swears occasionally when she messes up, but she reads wonderfully from sublime stories ... and that's what matters. The little mistakes, technical problems etc, to me, add to the experience of listening. It makes it a very intimate sort of thing, you really feel as if someone is reading to you - rather than listening to a performance.

now I'm not suggesting that we *encourage* background noise. but we can certainly accept some.

hugh.
kayray

Post by kayray »

Yes, I don't mind the occasional email BING!, crashing flowerpot, dog bark, and parakeet chirp (i've got lots of those, I'm afraid). Sure, we should try to edit most of them out but if one slips through, no worries.

When I'm reading I get on a roll, and even if there's a bit of sudden background noise (chirp! chirp! chirp!) I HATE stopping my paragraph to wait 'til it's over. I edit out the noise that falls into silent spaces, but sometimes it's behind a word. Oh well.

In Aaron's chapter of Five Children, you can hear his little girl playing with her friends, and cars honking in the street outside, and it's charming -- really makes you feel closer to the reader, I think. Hey, he's a real person reading in his apartment while his kid plays nearby and taxis honk outside!

The kind of noise that really must be avoided is constant loud distracting background hum/whine/whirr/grind.

Kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

apologies for resurrecting such an old thread-- but isn't it neat to look back at early LV history?

I'm trying to learn when exactly DPLs started getting credited in the LV catalog. does anyone happen to know? the first references to DPLs in the forums seem to be from August 2006 and after, and I'm assuming PLers weren't listed before that, since the practice was still new and sorta optional for a few months. if any admins know the answer, let me know!
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm not certain, but I think they started being noted on catalog pages with the redesign in 2013.

EDIT to add: Wow, so much more lax on PL than we are nowadays. Forget dog barks and kids playing in the background - now PLs bring up mouse clicks. :shock:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

TriciaG wrote: February 19th, 2019, 6:16 pm I'm not certain, but I think they started being noted on catalog pages with the redesign in 2013.

EDIT to add: Wow, so much more lax on PL than we are nowadays. Forget dog barks and kids playing in the background - now PLs bring up mouse clicks. :shock:
things definitely have evolved as LV has grown up.
so before the 2013 update, the PL info was just buried in metadata somewhere? I guess I could go dig around in the wayback machine and see what that tells me...
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

some wayback machine exploration has confirmed it for me-- the catalog up until 2012/2013 doesn't list proof-listeners (https://web.archive.org/web/20130126092618/http://librivox.org:80/anne-of-green-gables-by-lucy-maud-montgomery-2). but after the update/redesign, there's always a place for prooflistener credit even though it's empty on older projects (https://web.archive.org/web/20131104074354/http://librivox.org/anne-of-green-gables-by-lucy-maud-montgomery/).

thanks Tricia!
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
ej400

Post by ej400 »

There were books I have listened to with no DPL from like 2010 or 2009, but also some DPL's were given credit in 2007. But in 2007, noise reduction seemed to not be a big deal either. It's a mystery! :lol: <laughing>
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

In the olden days, with the older versions of Audacity, noise reduction was much of a hit-or-miss thing. It didn't work very well and the sound got tinny very quickly without really getting rid of the noise. Things have definitely improved on this end! :D

I don't remember when PLing became a requirement for every project. Must have been before my time, because I had PLers for each and every one of my projects. They were in the database quite early on because they needed access to the Magic Windows, but not on the catalog pages. That happened indeed only with the redesign in 2013.

Also today, the DPL spot may be empty if a project had several proof listeners, for example.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm listed on the catalogue page for the life of the spider which I volunteered to DPL in 2008 - it was DPL then

Anne
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

Availle wrote: February 19th, 2019, 7:01 pm I don't remember when PLing became a requirement for every project. Must have been before my time, because I had PLers for each and every one of my projects. They were in the database quite early on because they needed access to the Magic Windows, but not on the catalog pages. That happened indeed only with the redesign in 2013.

Also today, the DPL spot may be empty if a project had several proof listeners, for example.
thanks for explaining that-- of course it makes sense that they'd need a database slot for MW access. and that also makes sense for projects with multiple PLers. lots of interesting manifestations of LV protocols and how they've been built.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com