Fraudulent Copyright Claims on Youtube

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
audiobooksunleashed

Post by audiobooksunleashed »

Youtube is garbage. I deleted the first upload and restarted the process to avoid being overwhelmed by copyright strikes. I did this because I was sure that I would win the appeal process, I just didn't want the channel to be suspended while I did it. The video was taken down, so I filled a counter-notification showing clearly that the material was in the public domain, linking to the librivox page and all, and not owned by "Audioliterature", that I had the right to publish it. They reviewed it and said, in essence:

"You do not own the neceessary rights to publish this content on Youtube. We're ignoring your counter-notification and not even sending it to the people claiming to own this audio. Oh, by the way, you can't appeal this decision. Enjoy the copyright strikes on your channel!"
miketheauctioneer

Post by miketheauctioneer »

At least four titles I recorded for LibriVox are being sold on audible.com, and audible doesn't care. It's about money. I have purchased these titles, given them a bad review with a note that the exact same title is available on LibriVox free.
Mike Vendetti
Audio Book Publisher, Auctioneer, Narrator
http://www.mikevendetti.com
Florence, CO USA
audiobooksunleashed

Yea, give them money, that is sure to make them stop.

Their activity on Audible is somewhat unethical, but it is legal. That may be why Audible is allowing it, technicaly it isn't fraud. However, the system they use to sell on Audible and the system they use to defend "their" copyrights on Youtube is one and the same, the distributor sends the material to both audible and youtube's copyright bots. Is that not illegal? To claim the copyrights to something in the public domain?
miketheauctioneer

At the end of my recording of "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" that is for sale on Audible, there is no copyright statement. They have edited the Librivox statements and disclaimers out. When we upload content to audible there are sections on the metadata sheet, and there is one for Content copyright holder, and on public domain works I leave that as public domain There is another for content copyright holder where I put myself. I do put a statement at the end of the audiobook "Production copyright year by audio books by Mike Vendetti" The pirated stuff on Audible does not have that statement.
Mike Vendetti
Florence, CO USA
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

This may not necessarily be the most fitting place to say it, but I'd like to take a moment to say thanks to audiobooksunleashed. At the most inopportune time, when I was about to start on a three-hour pumpkin-carving project and wanted a good book to listen to, LV suddenly went down and stayed down for quite some time. Rather than listen to silence while making my pumpkin masterpiece (it really turned out great, btw), I went to your channel and chose The Scarlet Pimpernel as my book of choice. I'm glad you were there. :9:
audiobooksunleashed

mightyfelix wrote:This may not necessarily be the most fitting place to say it, but I'd like to take a moment to say thanks to audiobooksunleashed. At the most inopportune time, when I was about to start on a three-hour pumpkin-carving project and wanted a good book to listen to, LV suddenly went down and stayed down for quite some time. Rather than listen to silence while making my pumpkin masterpiece (it really turned out great, btw), I went to your channel and chose The Scarlet Pimpernel as my book of choice. I'm glad you were there. :9:
That's awesome! I'm looking forward to publishing your recording of Donal Grant, it sounds great.
miketheauctioneer

It doesn't bother me when someone posts a work I have done on Librivox on YouTube or another platform as long as they don't try to profit from it. If one of my recordings shows up on YouTube and there is a commercial accompanying it, that means it is monatised, and someone is making a profit from a work I did for free and that ticks me off.
Mike Vendetti
Florence, CO USA
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

audiobooksunleashed wrote: That's awesome! I'm looking forward to publishing your recording of Donal Grant, it sounds great.
Aw, thanks! It's now available for listening and download. Click my name and you should see it. Sir Gibbie, to which it is a sequel, is a good one also, but was recorded as a group project, and it seems that most (all?) of the books you put on your channel have the same reader throughout.
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

miketheauctioneer wrote: October 31st, 2017, 3:58 pm It doesn't bother me when someone posts a work I have done on Librivox on YouTube or another platform as long as they don't try to profit from it. If one of my recordings shows up on YouTube and there is a commercial accompanying it, that means it is monatised, and someone is making a profit from a work I did for free and that ticks me off.
Mike, that's exactly what is ticking me off right now. I revisited a nice fellow who had published the recording for free on YouTube a while back and saw that the recording had been taken down due to "due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement." As I saw it, the YouTube fellow was just spreading the recording unto a further circle (although I didn't listen long enough to hear any monetization). I've considered doing what you did -- posting a note saying it is available for free on LibriVox, but I just couldn't bring myself to give the b*st#*ds any money.