The Gawain Poet

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

I don't know if I am posting this message on the correct board, and I would be grateful if someone would direct me elsewhere if that would be preferable. I would like to see the Gawain Poet (who has a page already) given credit for all the relevant audiobooks that we have here. At present, the "Gawain Poet" page only includes "Pearl", but we also have four recordings of "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight", two of which are currently credited to "Unknown" and two of which (titled "Gawayne and the Green Knight") are credited to the translator who updated the English. Would it be possible for someone to group all of these books on the Gawain Poet's page?
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

In general we tend to use the author given in the text but I will do a bit of research and see if there is some way we can do something more meaningful with them.
It's always hard to decide who to credit - something like https://librivox.org/tales-from-shakespeare-by-charles-and-mary-lamb/ isn't credited to Shakespeare , but his name is in the title but I'll see if they are modernisations , retellings or what

Anne
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

I appreciate you looking into the matter, Anne! The first two are the ones I feel most strongly about, considering that they are currently credited to "Unknown". "The Gawain Poet" is just the conventional title given to the unknown poet who wrote "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight", so I don't think it would contravene the normal LibriVox rules to use this phrase rather than the word "Unknown".
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I don't doubt you, just need to learn a bit more about the different versions first. I'd like what I do to be consistent with generally accepted knowledge

Anne