New book or different translation for solo reading?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
pjcsaville

Post by pjcsaville »

I was just wondering what would be more helpful for the Librivox catalog. For my next solo reading would it be better to choose a book that is not in the catalog at all or choose a different translation of a book (still English) that is already in the catalog? I know people like certain translations of books, for example, War and Peace--Dole, Garnett, Briggs, Dunnigan, etc.. What would be the better choice do you think? Completely new book or a different translation?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I think the most important thing is to choose something YOU really like to read. This gives the best results in pretty much every respect (for you on a satisfaction level, for our "readers" on a fun-to-listen-to level, younameit).

Nevermind our catalog. Somebody else will be around to fill the gap with a book she really likes :wink:

Personally I prefer to read books that have not been done yet. But then again, my tastes are pretty "out there" anyway, I don't have much competition in my particular corner. ;-) The only book I loved so much to do a double take of - I did it in another language. I guess that counts as "new" too. :lol:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I suppose if there isn't something at the moment you would love to read , the feeling you were filling a gap in the catalogue with something you feel we should have would be a motivation. Or may trip around the group projects reading a chapter here and there , and you may find a new author you'd enjoy , as well as helping out ?

Anne