LibriVox 9th Anniversary Podcast

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Listen to

LibriVox Community Podcast #137

celebrating

LibriVox's ninth birthday

Hosted by RuthieG.

Duration: 33:08

Featuring MaryAnnSpiegel, DACsoft, bookangel7, mhhbook, Hobbit, lubee930, Piotrek81, commonsparrow3 and a host of others.

00:00 Introduction
00:49 RuthieG and MaryAnnSpiegel have a good old natter about the last year at LibriVox.
03:34 Don Cummings (DACsoft) talks about his activities at Distributed Proofreaders and LibriVox.
05:48 Bookangel7 tells us how she finds books to record.
07:40 Mary in Arkansas (mhhbook) shares her thoughts on book selection.
10:08 Lucretia (lubee930) appeals to any non-LibriVoxers listening to come on in, the water's lovely!
12:37 Eden Rea-Hedrick (Hobbit) sings Oh, LibriVox! words by Jason Mills (Vandermast), music a traditional Irish air arranged by Fred. E. Weatherly.
14:53 Piotrek81 talks about recording in Polish and English, and how he finds suitable texts.
17:50 Ruth and MaryAnn finally get around to talking about text sources for recording.
24:38 Maria Kasper (commonsparrow3) tells us of her enthusiasm for original sources.
27:21 Ruth has a word about an unfortunate experience during her time at LibriVox, in the hope that it may prove helpful to anyone else who has a 'dental disaster'.
29:21 Pin back yer lugholes (or put in your earplugs, actually). The LibriVox choristers have been at it again, and poor old Luigi Denza will be spinning in his grave.

Sources for reading ideas mentioned in the podcast:

http://www.gutenberg.org/
https://archive.org/details/texts
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/
http://www.hathitrust.org/
http://www.unz.org/
Book suggestions forum: viewforum.php?f=1
Abandoned projects thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22757
Books on the Ambleside home schooling lists: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Recommended_Listening_List
Nobel literature laureates thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51945
Polish texts: http://wolnelektury.pl/

We are interested in whatever feedback – positive or constructively critical – anyone has about our podcasts. Add a comment below. Any member of the community who has contributed readings to the LibriVox catalog can host a podcast and is most welcome to do so. Visit this thread on the forum to express an interest and float your ideas.

To Subscribe to the Librivox Community Podcast, go to: http://feeds.feedburner.com/LibrivoxCommunityPodcast Or hit this itunes link to get you to the subscribe page: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=203970211

Recent past LibriVox Community Podcast files can be found at our spot on: Archive.org and archived shows for previous years can be found at: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013.

Archived shownotes for the Community Podcast can be found at: http://librivox.org/category/librivox-community-podcast/ And the rss feed for those shownotes is: http://librivox.org/category/librivox-community-podcast/feed
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I've just finished listening. Fun :) The "natter" (I find it amusing that you only need to subtract one "t" from my surname to get a word for "chat" :mrgreen: ) came out very natural-sounding. If I hadn't known you had been thousands of kilometres apart and working separately, I wouldn't have guessed while listening.
As for the other contributions, I also sometimes look up works mentioned in other works I record.
Also, recording from original sources may produce unique results, because while publishing houses may re-print books-if they find them to have commercial potential- it's not necessarily true for some other sources which you mentioned. They may be gone and forgotten if nobody brings them back to life.
I found it interesting and encouraging what you said Ruth about reading aloud being helpful towards better enunciation. I wonder though how much you have to practise to see the results :hmm: (as I said in the podcast, I tend to mumble outside LV).
Oh, and of course I'm rather inconsistent :lol: - I said that I tend to choose things that I haven't seen recorded, yet I hardly think mine is the first recording of "Lalka"- like I said it's a classic here.

Good job everyone :thumbs:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

As I have mentioned in another thread already... :roll: (Did you hear that knock - that was senility begging for entry...)

I enjoyed it too - and the song is hilarious!

Well done Ruth! :clap:
I think after this collection and the WWI one and two podcasts in two weeks, you have our full understanding and permission (not that you need it :wink:) to kick back a little and enjoy the summer - which hopefully is a nice one there in Kent...

Piotr, you are reading the first and so far one and only version of "Lalka" for librivox. Is that worth nothing? :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
J_N

Post by J_N »

I really enjoyed the podcast and you did a great job with piecing together your converstion :D
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Wonderful! Especially loved the chatter between Ruth and Mary Ann -- In my mind's eye, you were sitting together over coffee (or tea) having a nice afternoon visit -- Not until afterwards did I remember you were across an ocean from each other!

The second half of that conversation was especially informative, enlightening, and useful to me. So many fresh new suggestions for online sources I'd never heard about or considered. I'll be referring back to that segment when I have time to take proper notes. I'm so glad you included all those links to the sites mentioned.

Mary Ann, I was tickled that you mentioned the UGRR project. That was my absolute favorite project since I've been at LV, and I'm so thankful that you gave it to us!

And Piotr and Ruth's remarks about enunciation issues had me nodding my head. I mumble, too, when I'm just talking. Having a mic in front of me has forced me to slow down, hit my consonants more carefully, and watch out for those swallowed word endings. See what great practice LV is giving us towards becoming better speakers -- a skill we can use out there in daily life!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

A conversation is a great and entertaining way to get information across! Kudos to MaryAnn for the idea and to Ruth for piecing it so nicely together! :clap:

I was touched by Lucretia's comment! If I weren't a Librivoxer already, that would surely inspire me to become one! :9:

And that last comment was so funny! I'm sure we'll all be singing tra-la-la-la tomorrow at work :lol:
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Agreeing with others' previous comments, I might add that I enjoyed the entire podcast. Ruth, you did a marvelous job putting it all together, and the "conversation" was so seamless that one would think it was an actual face-to-face chat! :thumbs:

And the "musical interlude" was fabulous. Eden (Hobbit), you have a lovely voice. :9:

I'm very fortunate to have been a part of the podcast (my first). Kudos to everyone involved, and thanks to everyone for the opportunity! :)

Don
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

HA! Ruth, you had me in stitches! Thank you for keeping me from sounding light a doddering old fool talking to herself!

Thanks to all who contributed. I particularly loved Lucretia's bit encouraging people to take a risk and get involved. I've posted the podcast on Facebook and I hope some of my friends will respond to your gentle prompting.

And of course tra la la la tra la la la! The song turned out wonderfully well - especially that bass line. How low can one go? Pretty low apparently!

Applause all around!

MaryAnn
Bassaga

Post by Bassaga »

Very nice! Quite a few handy tips in there that I shall keep in mind. And that was indeed quite a musical menagerie. Go Ruth and go team!
"In this world... you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart; I recommend pleasant."
Elwood P. Dowd, "Harvey"
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I enjoyed being a small part of this podcast. It was so nicely done and put together. A big THANK YOU to Maryann and Ruth for all that you did and that you do to add to the enjoyment of LibriVox.. :clap:
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I really really enjoyed listening to this. Many thanks to Ruth for pulling this together and everyone who participated. :thumbs: (my beanie hat is at the cleaners but my maracas still work) Image
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy
Whinnie the Pooh and Jack the Ripper both have the same middle names; coincidence? I think not
One needs to be careful browsing the forum as one never knows when one is about to be thrown into a laughing fit by a new signature line from Phil.

MaryAnn
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy
Whinnie the Pooh and Jack the Ripper both have the same middle names; coincidence? I think not
One needs to be careful browsing the forum as one never knows when one is about to be thrown into a laughing fit by a new signature line from Phil.

MaryAnn
Hahaha, so true!
Trotsa

Post by Trotsa »

Loved the podcast, especially the conversion and the singing!!! Sometime I hope to be able to help out, if I get a chance to hang around the forums more... the singing was definitely my favorite, but I guess you did ask for ideas or constructive criticism... so here's a little thing I noticed. I found the words of the songs hard to understand, I think because of the volume of the back ground music. But I realize that the background music has to be loud enough to hear the tune, so perhaps there is no solution. I enjoyed the songs the most when I was following along with the words, because then I was sure I was getting what they were singing!
But the singing was so beautiful, especially the chorus sort of thing on the end of each verse of the group song, I loved how the singers rolled out the tra-la-las! Great job guys!!! :thumbs:
Trotsa

[/size]I am an imperfect person loved by a PERFECT God.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Thanks, Trotsa. Yes, it is particularly difficult to get the words clear, especially in the choruses.

I shall try to do better next year... yes, there WILL be one next year. How could I not do one for the 10th anniversary? :lol:

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding