[RETIRED] Keeping track of your chapters

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

You know, as a PLer, I find it easier to check which files need PLing in a MW if they are already coloured complete. But that's maybe the habit of the eye (?) to consider whatever is coloured just "assigned" as not yet uploaded.
kwdavids

Post by kwdavids »

Rapunzelina wrote:You know, as a PLer, I find it easier to check which files need PLing in a MW if they are already coloured complete. But that's maybe the habit of the eye (?) to consider whatever is coloured just "assigned" as not yet uploaded.
I think that all depends on the BC. Some use big bold bright red for PL Needed and Green for PL OK.

But in any case, I have solved the problem for myself and am now happy as a clam.
Kevin
At the last moment, I decided not to read this section in my "talk like a pirate" voice.
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi, Kevin--

I've run up against the same issue. When I began to BC projects for LibriVox, it made perfect sense to me that I refrain from marking any section as "COMPLETE" in the Magic Window until and unless it had been given a PL OK. And that was the manner in which I ran my projects.

I was subsequently asked to mark some recorded sections as "COMPLETE" (even though not PL OK yet) so that the reader could use her LV Catalog page to monitor which of her claimed sections still remained to be recorded. I can see the reader's point of view, although that is not how I would interpret a "COMPLETE" section nor how I have ever personally used the LV Catalog page. (I created an Excel spreadsheet early on where I keep track of every section in Group projects that I've claimed, as well as when I upload any fixes, when it is given a PL OK--and also the projects that I am DPL on, the projects that I am BC'ing, and my Solo sections completed.)

Just for consistency across my BC projects currently in progress, I now mark all sections as "COMPLETE" when they have been uploaded for the project whether they have been given a PL OK or not. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing--it hasn't seemed to create any difficulties for me as a BC so far.

Your LVTool looks pretty nifty--thanks for the time and effort you've expended in creating it! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

kwdavids wrote:
Rapunzelina wrote:You know, as a PLer, I find it easier to check which files need PLing in a MW if they are already coloured complete. But that's maybe the habit of the eye (?) to consider whatever is coloured just "assigned" as not yet uploaded.
I think that all depends on the BC. Some use big bold bright red for PL Needed and Green for PL OK.

But in any case, I have solved the problem for myself and am now happy as a clam.
Whoa... just downloaded LVTool and it's awesome! Thank you so much, Kevin :wink: !
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Having jumped in to LibriVox with both feet, I knew I'd have to have a system to track everything quickly, or I'd be totally lost.

First, used the bookmark feature to follow the forum thread of each project I'm working on in some capacity. I also subscribed to them, but it is so easy to check the forums and visit the ones with new action, that this really isn't necessary or too useful.

My other primary tool, however, is a honking big spreadsheet. It is not automated, of course, but the time spent entering the data is well worth it, so I can see everything in one place and follow each project. I have to check only the ones tagged as having new messages.

i do have the hardest time keeping track of the PL status of sections submitted. Usually, though, checking the new posts to each forum keeps me on track.

I've started keeping information on ID Tags, intro and outro and file names for each project, the MC and BC, on my spread sheet because I don't always have internet access where I record, and it's easier to have it all in one place. Truthfully, I find it hard sometimes figuring out who the BC is. The MC is clearly identified in the MW, but not the BC. If there have been changes, it's even more complicated.

For my DPL, I see new submissions as I check the forums, and then save the link to a file on my desktop so I always know what is pending.

Well, we all hope that the new MW will have a lot of snazzy new features, now that we are holding our collective breath. And, if Kevin's LVTool will interface with it, all the better! The description sound great, but I'll wait a few weeks to see what new magic is conjured up.

~Larry (silverquill)
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Well, we all hope that the new MW will have a lot of snazzy new features, now that we are holding our collective breath. And, if Kevin's LVTool will interface with it, all the better! The description sound great, but I'll wait a few weeks to see what new magic is conjured up.
I haven't looked at Kevin's LV tool, but to whet your appetite for the new system, there's a spot where it keeps track of your claimed recordings (and after recording, whether it's needing PL, needing edits, or PL OK) AND your DPL project sections (whether it's PL needed, edits needed, or spot check needed). Of course, this only works if you're the assigned DPL.

I just discovered this nifty page yesterday. 8-)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Consider my appetite whetted! :clap: :9:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Loveday

Post by Loveday »

Wow - nifty indeed! I can't wait!
It's the end of term, so I am back! Thank you for being patient with me, and please PM if I don't seem to have caught an update that I should have seen.
msfry

Post by msfry »

What's going on with the personal catalogue pages? Mine hasn't been updated for a long time. It shows incomplete projects that I completed two weeks ago, and doesn't show new projects that I am BC'ing, started weeks ago. Is this page manually updated, or is it automatic?

AND, whoever is designing the new pages, please tell them to put a margin around the text boxes so the text isn't jammed up right against the edges. It looks "unfinished", and hopefully that is the explanation for it!

I really liked the colorful, straightforward, succinct presentation of information and distinctive header in the old pages, both for the catalogues and for the book descriptions as well as the home page, I don't understand why such a good thing had to be exchanged for the "style-free white page" look.

I don't know where to post this last sentence, probably not here but where?
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

What's going on with the personal catalogue pages?
Personal catalogue pages are linked to the old database. The old database is being discontinued. You will have a new personal catalogue page very soon, and indeed, if you right-click your name in the magic window and open in new tab, you can see it already.

I am sorry you don't like the new design. It is not yet finalised. To which text boxes do you refer, and what operating system (and version), browser (and version) are you using?

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
msfry

Post by msfry »

But, another issue, the Catalog Pages don't show a link back to the Home page. There has to be a way to get back home. This is also true of the Listen/Volunteer links on the new Home Page. Click on either of them, you advance to a new page and you can't get back home.

Post accidentally had a large chunk cut out of by an admin who just wanted to quote it and hit the wrong button. :oops:
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

I'm sooooo sorry, Michele!

I was trying to quote part of your post above and accidentally hit the edit button instead and didn't realize until it was to late! (bangs head!) And I deleted most of your message. :oops:

This was what I was trying to quote:
But, another issue, the Catalog Pages don't show a link back to the Home page. There has to be a way to get back home. This is also true of the Listen/Volunteer links on the new Home Page. Click on either of them, you advance to a new page and you can't get back home.
Hi Michele,

If you click on the Librivox logo at the top left on any page it will take you back to the home page.
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
lezer

Post by lezer »

msfry wrote:But, another issue, the Catalog Pages don't show a link back to the Home page. There has to be a way to get back home. This is also true of the Listen/Volunteer links on the new Home Page. Click on either of them, you advance to a new page and you can't get back home.

Post accidentally had a large chunk cut out of by an admin who just wanted to quote it and hit the wrong button. :oops:
Hi Michele,
Are you talking about the new pages, at dev.librivox.org? Those are not ready yet. Most of the things are not working yet, so they will look wrong, the search is not working yet, the browsing is not working yet, and a lot of links are wrong too. It has not been released for publication yet... So perhaps wait until they are officially unveiled?
Anna
Anna
msfry

Post by msfry »

lezer wrote:
Hi Michele,
Are you talking about the new pages, at dev.librivox.org? Those are not ready yet. Most of the things are not working yet, so they will look wrong, the search is not working yet, the browsing is not working yet, and a lot of links are wrong too. It has not been released for publication yet... So perhaps wait until they are officially unveiled?
Anna
Sure, I'll wait. I'm a web designer myself and dread anybody seeing my work until the puzzle is finished. Don't know how I got sent a link to the home page, so I assumed it was up and running. Excuse my comments, please, and best wishes to all.
lezer

Post by lezer »

No problem - it's because the MW has already switched over, and if you click on your name, you already get to the new catalog pages - but the site will be hopefully finished within a few weeks!
Anna