Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently December 15th, 2017, 5:17 am

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post Posted:: February 22nd, 2017, 6:23 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

tovarisch wrote:
But you seem to be reading in my words what you had on your mind, not what I had on mine. ;)

:lol:
Well, everybody does, no? After all, I can read MY mind, but not YOURS (or anybody elses)... :wink:

I have explained to other people who would ask me about our text policy that I see LV as a library and us volunteers as librarians. We archive the books as they are, as they were written by the authors - children of their times, formed by their own circumstances.

We ourselves are not historians to interpret or criticise (which is always easy in hindsight). We just put the books out there for people to make up their own minds. Things and how we see them are constantly changing, some times for the better, some times for the worse.

--
AvailleAudio.com NEW DESIGN!

Post Posted:: February 22nd, 2017, 6:44 am 

Availle wrote:
tovarisch wrote:
But you seem to be reading in my words what you had on your mind, not what I had on mine. ;)

:lol:
Well, everybody does, no? After all, I can read MY mind, but not YOURS (or anybody elses)... :wink:
I suppose it's true... Yet, it is up to us whether to try to understand what the other person is saying (or intended to say), or to close our mind and instead judge the words on the basis on what they'd express had we said them. :wink:
Availle wrote:
I have explained to other people who would ask me about our text policy that I see LV as a library and us volunteers as librarians. ...
That's probably as good an approach as can be. Thank you.

Post Posted:: February 22nd, 2017, 4:02 pm 

@tovarisch
I understood the opinion of no opinion makes it open for all and everyone who don't agree is free to leave, so i guess I got it right.
Thank you for taking time to explain that to me.

Last edited by fremdschaemen on February 22nd, 2017, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted:: February 22nd, 2017, 4:49 pm 

@Carolin

The examples you gave I agree completely with you, that is not what I ment with spreading rascism because they are in relation to the contextbackground and so on.
What I mean is maybe more related to rascist authors who invent scapegoats of stereotypes which Nazis used in past and today to spread fascism.
Nowadays we see it everywhere in the world with the example of: Islam - terrorism...I hope this short note shows what I mean.

I don't want to judge anybody or want to say like ' you are wrong - I am right' its really not that. I just would like to open a disscusion about that.

Like when I listen an audiobook, where the story goes about stereotypes used in the Nazi ideology are set in the story beeing the scapegoat for all worse...I hope its seen what I want to say, my english vocabulary is not so good, so its hard for me sometimes to get to the point of what I really mean.

In general I wanted to say that, accepting all looks like open for everyone and everything but if a text is just for spreading nazi ideology bullshit thoughts then this 'openness' can turn in the oposite like marginalise people who don't want that inhuman statements have a forum. Who cares then about the people who are victims of this written ideology past today and future.
I am sorry if my words sound theatrical, was not my intension.

Thank you for everybody who shared their thoughts with me about that.

Post Posted:: February 22nd, 2017, 6:52 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

We do only accept books that are public domain in the USA, which in general means published before 1923. So it is historical racism, chauvinism , animal cruelty etc etc. . I fondly hope people might learn from the past. I'm not sure they do so it's a matter of faith on my behalf. But I do believe that if we burn books people will never learn.

Anne

Post Posted:: February 23rd, 2017, 1:35 am 

... and we do often make a note in the summary that goes with one of our recordings when attitudes or language used in the book might seem offensive to listeners nowadays.

Peter

Post Posted:: February 24th, 2017, 4:17 pm 

Peter Why wrote:
... and we do often make a note in the summary that goes with one of our recordings when attitudes or language used in the book might seem offensive to listeners nowadays.

Peter

.....thanks Peter, something like that I had in my mind, that this could be a good solution.

Post Posted:: February 24th, 2017, 4:20 pm 

annise wrote:
..But I do believe that if we burn books people will never learn.
Anne

-> Yes I believe in that too.