[APP - NOT LV] listing the names of translators

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
BerelDovLerner

Post by BerelDovLerner »

I hope you will support my suggestion for an improvement in the catalog: that all listings for translated works include the name of the translator. Perhaps it's because I am a professional academic who has also done a fair bit of translation that I shudder when I see, say, an English translation of Augustine's Confessions being advertised as if it were the original text. There are two reasons why this is objectively important, one practical and one ethical. The practical issue is that there are multiple translations available (even in the public domain) for classical works, and people who are serious about studying, say, Plato, will want to check ahead of time to see if the translation used is considered to be reliable before investing 15 hours in listening to the Republic. The ethical issue is that translators work hard at their craft and deserve the respect of our recognition.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Translators where available are displayed and are searchable. There are a number of time when they are not avaiable , usually for the very popular authors , Jules Verne springs to mind.
Is there an example you have where this is not happening ?

Anne
Our confessions aare labelled "confessions (outler translation) and the confessions (Pusey translation) and both translators are in our database

https://librivox.org/confessions-by-saint-augustine-of-hippo/
https://librivox.org/the-confessions-by-saint-augustine-of-hippo/
BerelDovLerner

Post by BerelDovLerner »

Wow, you're right and I feel like an idiot - I've been using an app on my phone which did not include the information, but I see that the regular web catalog does.Never mind...
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Glad we are doing the right thing . You could try contacting the app maker but it is probably difficult for him to include

Anne