Illustrations

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » December 30th, 2016, 11:27 pm

Quite a few of our books have illustrations, often almost essential to understanding the text. Would it be acceptable to prepare a file of illustrations to be stored on archive.org, with a link from the LibriVox book summary?

Peter
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist." Kenneth Boulding, 1973

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » December 31st, 2016, 1:04 am

I'm feeling sure it has been done - a pdf file has been produced and it is uploaded to the project page and a link made .

Anne

dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 » December 31st, 2016, 1:20 am

It has been done here "The Book of Art for Young People" as a separate Archive page.

https://librivox.org/the-book-of-art-for-young-people-by-agnes-ethel-conway-and-sir-martin-conway/

As Anne said, it could also be done as a .pdf file and added to an Archive page.

David O

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » December 31st, 2016, 1:54 am

Thanks; I'm reading a maths book at the moment where that would be very helpful. I'll have a go at an illustration file.

Peter
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist." Kenneth Boulding, 1973

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » February 18th, 2017, 2:04 pm

I've had no experience in uploading files to archive.org and in labelling them and in referencing them from other places. Can anyone walk me through this, please?

That is, we'll eventually be uploading a LibriVox recording of the maths book I'm reading to archive.org. I'm extracting the illustrations from the archived book and am making a document from them, which I want to save to the archive (as PDF or Word document?). I then need to create a link to it in the summary of the original recording.

Peter

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » February 18th, 2017, 2:38 pm

The best place would probably be the project Archive page - which means you can't add the link until after we have a project page.
I could put it where we put the cover stuff and some other non catalogue LV things if you want to upload it to me (you may have to zip it, I'm not sure. That way I could give you the link before it was catalogued (PM me if you do)

Anne

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » February 18th, 2017, 3:34 pm

Yeah, the uploader only does .mp3, .wav, .flac, .zip and .txt files.

I'd suggest PDF over Word document. You should be able to make a PDF directly from Word - an Export or Print to PDF option.
Fiction, open sections mostly adventure in Australia: It Is Never too Late to Mend
Irish Home Rule Arguments: Handbook on Home Rule
Sci-Fi removing memories: Dr. Heidenhoff's Process

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » February 18th, 2017, 4:04 pm

Thank you both; I use LibreOffice, which can create a PDF document for me.

I've been working on the illustrations as I go; I'll see if I can get it finished reasonably quickly, so we can get it uploaded and the link created before the recording is uploaded.

Peter

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » February 18th, 2017, 4:05 pm

Thank you both; I use LibreOffice, which can create a PDF document for me.
So do I. 8-)
Fiction, open sections mostly adventure in Australia: It Is Never too Late to Mend
Irish Home Rule Arguments: Handbook on Home Rule
Sci-Fi removing memories: Dr. Heidenhoff's Process

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » February 22nd, 2017, 6:08 am

if you find a book with particularly pretty illustrations, you could also tell the cover makers about them - i imagine pretty pd pictures are always in demand :D
Carolin