Intros and outros

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I am mostly a proof-listener and I've gotten so used to it that listening to recordings without any kind of intro feels weird, like it's an orphan, lonely recording (who made you, dear recording? where do you come from?) :mrgreen:

Also, I am thankful for the intro because this is what brought me here in the first place, listening to a random audio file somewhere in the internet, pointing me here, helping me join one of the most enjoyable and interesting communities to me :D
carteki

Post by carteki »

lurcherlover wrote: I also read from a printed version of the Gutenberg or other texts, and I also have the intro and outro printed out. In fact I do those a separate recordings and edit them in. I suppose I also often listen to the beginnings of many readings available, to see if I like the material and reading. So I might hear the intro several times in the space of ten minutes if I just listen to a minute or two of each reading. Maybe I should listen only to things i know I might like, rather than just bits and pieces
I also find it difficult to find "new stuff" to listen to, but I usually follow readers around LV. If I like listening to someone (usually ID'd via the intro) I'll see what they've recorded. That way I've found some gems and new authors who I then follow and hopefully find another reader (in a group recording)...
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Well, first things first - I hope you've had a nice walk with your lurcher!

I haven't really been skipping through recordings looking for new things to listen to, so I haven't been hearing the disclaimers multiple times in a period of a few minutes. Now that I've said that, I will say that I've grown to like them, because there is so much variety in how readers handle them. I don't just mean the accent or sex of the reader, but the different emphasis or pace. It's a little bit like the weekly poetry projects, where one short poem can be read in many different ways. Even within solos, there are sometimes variations between sections. The intros and outros may be relatively consistent, but because they're read by humans, they're interpreted or performed in multiple ways.