End Silences

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?

Does your player cut off the ends of recordings?

Poll ended at November 27th, 2016, 2:31 pm

Yes
3%
No
97%

Total votes: 35

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I agree!
I like the flexibility! :D
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I like the flexibility too, and plan to be very flexible with readers when I PL.

For sections that are otherwise PL OK, no making the reader shorten the end silence from 10 to 5 seconds, regardless of the instructions in the first post. We've used 10 seconds for so long that it's a habit for many people, and will remain so for quite a while to come . . . and it is so nice to get a PL OK on the first pass . . . that I won't tell a reader that they must edit and resubmit for this reason alone.

MaryAnn
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Aw, shucks! I was just going to shorten all my end silences on sections over 30 minutes that have already been PLed but not catalogued, just to get the PLer to listen to them again... Well, fine! I won't. There. :wink:
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

Hi All, I had been informed some time ago that the silence at the end of the recording is now 5s on all recordings. If this is the case we should update the project template to reflect it. I am seeing a lot of recordings from my projects that are coming through with the 10s ending. I am not correcting them because it was ok by the old standards. I just want to make sure that we let the readers know. Thanks! I apologize if this was done already.
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

When we get access to the template to change it, we will. In the meantime, it's up to the BC to decide to change the first post on new projects (we weren't making it retroactive to current projects), and/or whether to have 10 seconds on longer files. But you're right - 5 seconds is all that's required.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I've been changing it for the projects I MC along with several other edits that are needed. Either the BC or MC can edit the post. Unfortunately, editing the template will have to wait as Tricia has indicated.
Jo