Server breakdown - how to fix it [we need your help!]

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
rita1075

Post by rita1075 »

Availle wrote:HI Eunah!

let me quickly answer your questions:

1) Yes, all the forum posts since September 15 have been lost and cannot be recovered. I'm very sorry about this. Every project started after September 15 will have to be recreated from scratch, including weekly poetry etc.

2) Yes, the blog posts on the homepage posted after September 15 have also been lost and cannot be recovered directly. However, I have a (handwritten) copy of my staff picks post for October, and I will repost it a bit later. Maybe the admin who posted about the the 3rd party apps is able to recreate and repost her message as well. I will mention this in the admin forum.

4) The crash was not due to any kind of outside attack, it was a simple (?) failure of a type of software that we use to keep librivox online and working (yes, I see the irony of this :roll: ). We will try to make sure that this does not happen again.

As for the appdeveloper: We have contacted the one in question and he in turn has contacted his advertiser to exclude political advertisements in the future. This is all we can do about it, I'm afraid.
Thanks so much for such a prompt response, availle.
Really sorry to bother you again with questions, but...
One of the useful features I greatly missed from the LV catalog during the temporary server failure was "Subscribe with iTunes" and RSS feed feature available on every LV book catalog page.
Downloading an LV audiobook with the podcast method makes it a lot easier for me to figure out chapter titles, authors (if the book I am downloading is an anthology) or reader names. So, my question is, how does "Subscribe with iTunes" and "RSS Feed" feature work? Is this feature made possible only by the LV catalog database?
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Availle wrote:It may have happened that you got logged out of the uploader, possibly because of inactivity. Could you please login and try again?
Thanks, Ava. That worked. I don't recall ever seeing that particular error before. Your suggestion was very helpful!

Take care,

Greg
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

One of the useful features I greatly missed from the LV catalog during the temporary server failure was "Subscribe with iTunes" and RSS feed feature available on every LV book catalog page.
Downloading an LV audiobook with the podcast method makes it a lot easier for me to figure out chapter titles, authors (if the book I am downloading is an anthology) or reader names. So, my question is, how does "Subscribe with iTunes" and "RSS Feed" feature work? Is this feature made possible only by the LV catalog database?
Yes - everything in the catalogue depends on database info . The subscribe links for some projects will not work for a bit but once the database is completely fixed should
And no I don't know how long it will take the MC's to do all we need to do manually - :D .

Anne
Basquetteur

Post by Basquetteur »

A minor issue: the site for claiming making covers for volunteers (libriclaims.nl) is now offering claims for works already done. I have put my name again to a cover I had already made (Baldwin's Don Quixotte) in order to avoid someone starting to do that cover again. Could this happen to other covers?

Regards

Basquetteur
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Yes, this is most likely to happen to other covers. Anne suggests to be very careful when claiming and to double check with the archive page to see if there's a cover already (the catalog is NOT up-to-date!)

Please check the cover thread for more info.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

LydiaCW wrote:I had completed my part for "The Phoenix and the Carpet," which has now disappeared. Will it be back up soon so that I can re-upload my parts?
Hi! Thanks Lydia! I've been at work all day and I've just come online to try to recreate the project - it's a lot of work as you can imagine! I've relaunched the project, but I need someone to give me a MW to repopulate the sections.

However, you don't need to wait for me, you can just reupload directly to the server and post the links to the project thread (which is already up) and I'll put them in the MW when I get one. All your files were PL OK, so there's no problem there.
carteki

Post by carteki »

Missing User ... idanm is in the forum, but I can't find or create his profile in the MW. He has 3 sections in Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio to his name.

Kim
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Then you will have to "add new reader" before you assign him the sections. Reload the page to make sure he's in the dropdown.

He's been here since August, so not affected by the breakdown.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
carteki

Post by carteki »

Availle wrote:Then you will have to "add new reader" before you assign him the sections. Reload the page to make sure he's in the dropdown.

He's been here since August, so not affected by the breakdown.
I can't add him to the MW as I get "Forum user email not found".

Kim
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Weird. It happens at times. I'll post it in admin since I cannot do anything about this myself.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I have added idanm to the reader database.
MaryAnn
AmyDeuchler

Post by AmyDeuchler »

I have received a few PM from my MC but I am unable to reply to them. I receive a message that says I am a new user and have not posted enough messages to be able to use the PM feature. Is there any way to turn this on so I can communicate about my lost projects?
Thanks, Amy

Working on these upcoming projects:
Plays:The Parson's Wedding, Short Plays from Dickens
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

That's one of our newbie settings to prevent spam, sorry 'bout that.

You need to have 3 posts in the forums to be allowed to send pms. If the info is not private, you can post in the threads your MC indicated rightaway.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
carteki

Post by carteki »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:I have added idanm to the reader database.
MaryAnn
Thank you. He requested that his name show as Idan M.

Kim
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Hey Admin Team,

Every one of you guys are awesome!

Thank you.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."