Project status table! Click here to find works nearing completion

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

I've looked at the page a number of times, and appreciated when it had been updated recently. Too bad it isn't updated programmatically. Thanks for your efforts!

Like Kevin said, we find other ways to identify needy projects, so when other priorities demand your attention, we're OK.
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Knowing that people use it is a huge help for me, actually! My goal is to do it Friday nights.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: August 16th, 2016, 6:16 pm...it's here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Project_Status_Table

... This report will be out of date almost as soon as it is posted ... love to help push those projects over the finish line. If you are one of those, then I hope you find this table helpful.
Hi MaryAnn. I'm here :waving:

(1) I took a look at the wiki table and found projects that "need a nudge".
(2) I have been exploring possibilities for generating Search URLs to generate a close-to-realistic list of Topics.

Search URLs (like this:-
search.php?keywords=magic+window+open+-complete%21&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=firstpost&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=a&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

My efforts at Search URLs are very much a work-in-progress (there are problems with the URLs generated via SQL in the phpBB software), but the search URLs are better in the sense that the URL posted above will work as well a year from now as well as it does today(including teething problems), without any changes.
That is, it is not necessary to update or rebuild a table - the phpBB software goes to the database and creates an up-to-date summary, just as it does via QuickLinks (Your Posts, New Posts, Active Topics and so on).

Question: Is manual labour involved in creating your Wiki page, or does LibriVox have a clever procedure to create the table at the press of a button?

You might imagine that besides search URLs for projects near completion, and stale projects, there are many other possibilities for producing lists of current projects with specific conditions without needing to make changes to the LibriVox installation of the phpBB system itself.

Thanks
Chris
I adopt YOUR orphaned chapters, for FREE!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

ChrisGreaves wrote: January 15th, 2022, 1:07 pm
Question: Is manual labour involved in creating your Wiki page, or does LibriVox have a clever procedure to create the table at the press of a button?
I'll answer. :)

In the admin area, the table comes up with the click of a button. We clean it up a bit to put it in the wiki, where everyone can see it.

It doesn't seem efficient to use the forum as the search area, since it's heavily dependent on individuals putting in the right words in the right way. The workflow (the realm inside the Magic Window) has all the data for what has a DPL, how many sections are assigned vs completed, etc.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

TriciaG wrote: January 15th, 2022, 1:12 pmIn the admin area, the table comes up with the click of a button. We clean it up a bit to put it in the wiki, where everyone can see it.
Thank you Tricia.
... it's heavily dependent on individuals putting in the right words in the right way.
"ay, there's the rub".
The menu items in the drop down box "QuickLinks" are sometimes called macros.
The macro "Your Posts" ultimately generates a search URL "search.php?search_id=egosearch" which will allow you to "search these results" and so generate a basic search URL "search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&author_id=134194". But on LibriVox the member does not need to memorize their numeric UserId.

For "YourPosts" the user does not need to key in anything as a search term.
But then the user can augment the "YourPosts" search with a personal term such as "elephants", "Shakespeare" and so on.

My example for those-projects-in-need was written logically with generic terms as

Code: Select all

{magic} AND {window} AND {open} AND NOT {complete}
I proposed that the logical expression {magic} AND {window} AND {open} AND NOT {complete} has the potential to produce a list of projects that are desperate for help. There is no need for individual members to build a search URL through the "Advanced Search" pane. Instead the search URL would be just as available as "New Posts", "Active Topics" and so on.

Clicking on Desperate projects today should generate a mere 183 posts from the 1,996,271 posts that have ever been made on the LibriVox forum
I hope that makes sense.
Cheers
Chris
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Your search for "desperate posts" brings up a list with a lot of completed projects in it. I don't think that was your intent. Actually, browsing that search result suggests that they are ALL completed projects. :hmm:

The general idea makes sense, but "the rub" is that not all open projects have "open" in the subject line. Books generally don't, because everything in the Readers Wanted: Books forum is supposed to be open (needing readers). The full ones move to Readers Found. The RW: Short Works and RW: Dramatic Works do often have "Open" and "Full" in them, because as the forum has evolved, projects that are fully claimed don't move from those forums over to Readers Found.

And BCs are human; they may not think to change "Open" to "Full" or to even put "Open" in the subject line. There's a lot of human variation in the forum titles and posts.

It's easier, IMHO, to look at something like the Status Table to find projects with unclaimed sections. Granted, since the wiki page is only updated every week or so, it's a bit outdated at times. But it gets the job done.

It's easy to look at the forum/workflow and think that it's inefficient, and there must be better ways of doing things. And maybe there is. But this is the way it has evolved over the years, and it seems to work for us. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

TriciaG wrote: January 15th, 2022, 2:18 pm It's easy to look at the forum/workflow and think that it's inefficient, and there must be better ways of doing things. And maybe there is. But this is the way it has evolved over the years, and it seems to work for us. :)
Thanks Tricia. yes, like most newcomers in most societies I scratch my head and puzzle.
I knew years ago that phpBB software had problems with Advanced Search, but I have found the LibriVox forums to be very well disciplined in the data content of the posts. LibriVox is the best board I have found in terms of the quality of the database. To my mind it is a gold-mine, just begging to be searched.

Accuracy of data is not really a problem from the user's point of view, because as better searches ferret out data, those whose data is not found have an evolutionary pressure to keep their data up to date.

Cheers
Chris
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Chris - that search appears to bring up things with "open" in the thread not the title
such as
For copyright reasons, volunteering for this project is open to people living in the following countries. If your country does not appear on the list, but you would like to take part, please pm CarlManchester.

This collection will be open until it is full (20 stories have been submitted)

Anne
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

annise wrote: January 15th, 2022, 4:03 pm Chris - that search appears to bring up things with "open" in the thread not the title
Thank you, Anne. Yes, there are problems with the phpBB interface, "(there are problems with the URLs generated via SQL in the phpBB software),", and I am taking this issue up on the phpBB board.
I am assuming that phpBB can fix the problems.
In the meantime the search URL was one of my examples of what might be done with a small set of prepared search URLs, such as we find in the QuickLinks menu.
Cheers, Chris
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

I’m am so glad I was randomly browsing these forums I never read. This is exactly me! I can’t read often, but this will help me find projects where I can feel especially useful.
Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm glad you find it helpful. I usually update the tables on Friday night (USA central time). :thumbs:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

There is another good way that some readers use when they are looking for something - they go the the end of the readers wanted forums and pick something down there. It's often helpful in a couple of ways - it gets a section read , and it may encourage other readers to join in (hopefully). It's a nice feeling to help get something catalogued and you might even find you liked reading an author or subject you had never considered

Anne
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

annise wrote: July 7th, 2022, 7:05 pm There is another good way that some readers use when they are looking for something - they go the the end of the readers wanted forums and pick something down there. It's often helpful in a couple of ways - it gets a section read , and it may encourage other readers to join in (hopefully). It's a nice feeling to help get something catalogued and you might even find you liked reading an author or subject you had never considered

Anne
This is what I’ve done the last couple of times, but then it’s only on one forum instead of across all the different types of readings. Still…it’s good to know it’s helpful!

Now back to reading Cyrano de Bergerac so I can choose a part or two…

Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

msfry

Post by msfry »

I am perusing the Project Status Table, and see that 2 of my 4 BC projects are not listed.
A New England Girlhood
Deirdra
One is FULL and the other is a SOLO, so maybe that's why they aren't on there. Is that right?

Reading this thread I see it is updated manually, by mightyfelix. It's nice to know of the duties LV members take on besides the obvious recording, PL'ing, BC'ing, MC'ing and editing. Thank you.
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

msfry wrote: March 5th, 2023, 8:06 am I am perusing the Project Status Table, and see that 2 of my 4 BC projects are not listed.
A New England Girlhood
Deirdra
One is FULL and the other is a SOLO, so maybe that's why they aren't on there. Is that right?

Reading this thread I see it is updated manually, by mightyfelix. It's nice to know of the duties LV members take on besides the obvious recording, PL'ing, BC'ing, MC'ing and editing. Thank you.
Hi! I’ve been using this regularly for quite some time, and yes, A New England Girlhood showed up until it was full. Solos only show up on the PL table (and obviously only if there’s not a DPL assigned).

Occasionally, there are glitches, like the re-mothballed A System of Logic showing up, but mostly, this is a very handy list. I often use it to find my next DPL projects, as it’s a lot less overwhelming to me than browsing the forums for them!
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes