DR Recordings - for the Reader or Editor to "fix"?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

I think it is a lot better for individual readers to do their own noisecleaning, (and other post recording clean up work) as they know the settings that are most effective for them. (In general, each reader will use slightly different NC settings.)

I didn't ask for that when doing Inspector General, as I was copying the standard format for DRs, and I regretted it. I found that one or two readers had persistent background hums that I knew must be cleanable, as those readers had done solo readings where the hum wasn't present, but I could not work out the settings to get rid of it for myself. Those lines ended up with a hum over them in the final reading. (It was so long between receiving the readings and editing I couldn't ask the original readers to fix them.)

Volume should also be about right to start off with (as amplifying can make acceptable background noise levels unacceptable.) I don't mind shifting the occasional line up or down to fit in with a scene, but having to amplify everything for everyone was really time consuming.

Also, since I was working with so many parts, and editing took a long time, I had to save a copy of these amplified and noisecleaned files so each part was consistent through each act, which took up an enormous amount of space on my already shaky laptop.

Finally I have noticed that the Standard DR template does not include an instruction to leave gaps between different lines - so new readers often did not realise they had to do this. Nice big gaps (5 seconds ideally) make cutting everything into roughly the right place so much easier.
So little space, so much to say.