Marakesh Treaty is active.

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

Canada has ratified the Marrakesh Treaty, which was to go active at 20th ratification. Canada being the 20th ratification the treaty comes into force in ratifying countries in September.

The US is not currently a ratifying country, but I thought those of us outside might like to know this has occurred, because it binds some of our governments to make a copyright exception for format-shifting books not available in Braille or audio, and to allow material created under the treaty to be interlent across borders.

(Not legal advice, but as a special needs librarian, this is awesome stuff).

http://www.worldblindunion.org/English/our-work/our-priorities/Pages/right-2-read-campaign.aspx
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

On your understanding - I accept it's not legal - does it mean that I could record a book that was not PD for me.?
And if I did how could I distribute it ? Are there special on line libraries that can only be accessed by print handicapped people ?

Anne
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

The treaty binds the government to create a copyright exemption, but the conditions in which that exemption comes into effect aren't clear yet. As it is libraries already have copyright exemptions for some forms of copying, and it seems format shifting may follow similar rules.

There certainly used to be libraries, or collections within public libraries, solely for the use of print-handicapped people, but much of that work has just mainstreamed because people without relevant disabilities have moved into borrowing books in audio formats. One of the major suppliers of audio for librarie,s Ulverscroft, is the product of a deaf library supply program. There are still some news and current affairs type services around, though.

I'm hoping that I'm going to be given a head's up by the professional body for Australian librarians closer to the date. Effectively someone will be empowered to record items which are not PD, without the permission of the copyright holder, but who that someone is, and how direct the request from a person with special access needs has to be...who knows?
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales