[DONE! Group song] LV 11th Anniversary Song

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

It's that time again! Time for the -

LibriVox 11th Anniversary Song

Are we ready to ROCK?

• You don't have to be able to read music, or even to be able to sing!
  • You may sing/speak/shout as much or as little of it as you wish. Extras are welcome - hurrays, whoops and other mad things.
  • The melody should be familiar to most of us, as it's the chorus section of "It's a Long Way to Tipperary". The tune is PD for everybody -(published in 1912, and the composers died in 1938 and 1922).
  • I can't use everything, but the more I have, the more fun it will be. Those of you who have done this before know that I will be using as many voices as I possibly can - some bits solo, other bits duets, other bits a massive chorus of voices. EVERYONE will be in it somewhere!

The zip file is here: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/lv11annivsong.zip

It includes these files:
  • MP3 of piano accompaniment: lv11annivsong_piano.mp3
  • MP3 of piano accompaniment with my rather caterwauling voice singing along as a rough guide: lv11annivsong_singalong.mp3
  • PDF of lyrics: lv11annivsong_words.pdf
This is how you do it:
  • Import (or drag) either lv11annivsong_piano.mp3 or lv11annivsong_singalong.mp3 (your choice) into Audacity.
  • In Edit | Preferences | Recording, tick the box that says "Overdub: Play other tracks while recording new one"
  • Click record and sing along while listening using headphones if possible. Put the playback sound down low (or adjust the Gain slider at the left of that track) so that it doesn't get recorded with your voice.
  • Now you should have two tracks. When you are happy with it, just delete the accompaniment track, and export your voice track as an MP3.
  • Don't forget to uncheck the Playthrough box when you have finished.
  • Call your file lv11annivsong_yourinitials.mp3, and number it [e.g. yourinitials1] if you upload more than one file.
  • Upload it with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader to TriciaG 's folder by July 31st !
  • Don't forget to post the link to your uploaded file here in this thread so I can find it.
This song will become a part of the LibriVox 11th Anniversary Collection. Go over there and check out that project while you're at it! It's an eclectic melange of short works which have nothing in common except the number Eleven in their titles. Quick and quirky, and lots of fun!

RuthieG, you don't know how much we miss your magic madness with a song! This one's for you, Ruth! We will do our best not to let you down!

Words are also here:
It’s a long road to meet our mission,
It’s a long road – but fun!
Every book in the public domain,
We will read them one by one.
It’s been eleven years now,
And still we’re far from done.
There are more books waiting on the doorstep –
We’ve barely begun!

Ancient classics, or modern sci-fi,
History’s rebels and kings,
Mighty novels and witty essays,
Tender poems that take wing.
Playing drama and melodrama,
We sometimes even sing.
Whether comic, tragic, or historic,
The book is the thing!

Some of us lend our voices,
While some lend our ears,
Some dig for hidden treasures
In archives far and near,
From all around the world, we
Have come together here,
How many books have we recorded?
Ten thousand by this year!

So let’s celebrate together,
Throw a party that rocks,
Sing “Happy Anniversary!”
Shout “Hurrah for LibriVox!”
It’s been eleven years now,
And still we’re far from done.
There are more books waiting on the doorstep –
We’ve barely begun!

(Finish with whoops, huzzahs, as the spirit moves you.)
Last edited by commonsparrow3 on July 5th, 2016, 6:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

I'm so glad you're coordinating this! I'll start working on it soon! :)
Adele

Post by commonsparrow3 »

AdeledePignerolles wrote:I'm so glad you're coordinating this! I'll start working on it soon! :)
Aha! Our first volunteer! Thanks, Adele, for getting us started!
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/lv11annivsong_sa.mp3

Hi Maria, Here is my contribution. This is my very first venture into LibriVox song, but LibriVox is worth a hurrah and it was fun to do. I sang along with you on your singalong track. I'd never have made it on my own.
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Sue Anderson wrote:https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/lv11annivsong_sa.mp3

Hi Maria, Here is my contribution. This is my very first venture into LibriVox song, but LibriVox is worth a hurrah and it was fun to do. I sang along with you on your singalong track. I'd never have made it on my own.
Thank you, Sue! You're the first singer! Glad you found it fun!
(You've helped me get this up and rolling ... Now I'll return the favor and get busy recording my section for your 11th Anniversary Collection!)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Oh this is fun ! And my sincerest compliments to the birthday lyrics, the text is excellent !!!

I must warn you, I didn't know the song at all, so I was glad I had your music to listen to to learn it this afternoon (youtube helped as well). Here is my recording. I hope I wasn't singing too fast in the end, I got carried away a bit LOL

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/lv11annivsong_sos.mp3
Recording time: 2:19 min.

edit: somebody just told me I had to download your music file to record it with. I did not read the instructions properly because I was too eager to start :oops: so I sang it a-capella. So if my tempo is too fast, please tell me whether it's usable, otherwise I can try to re-do the recording no problem.

Sonia
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Kitty wrote:I must warn you, I didn't know the song at all, so I was glad I had your music to listen to to learn it this afternoon (youtube helped as well). Here is my recording. I hope I wasn't singing too fast in the end, I got carried away a bit LOL
edit: somebody just told me I had to download your music file to record it with. I did not read the instructions properly because I was too eager to start :oops: so I sang it a-capella. So if my tempo is too fast, please tell me whether it's usable, otherwise I can try to re-do the recording no problem.
Sonia, your rendition is admirable! I love it!
I tried playing your recording with the piano accompaniment, and it is only very very slightly out-of-sync. I can deal with that in the editing easily, by pasting in small silences between phrases. The timing is so close that the difference isn't even noticeable within each phrase.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

commonsparrow3 wrote:Sonia, your rendition is admirable! I love it!
I tried playing your recording with the piano accompaniment, and it is only very very slightly out-of-sync. I can deal with that in the editing easily, by pasting in small silences between phrases. The timing is so close that the difference isn't even noticeable within each phrase.
oh I'm relieved to hear that. Thank you :) Looking forward to the outcome

Sonia
EstherbenSimonides

Post by EstherbenSimonides »

Here's mine:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/lv11annivsong_ebs.mp3
I think I may be off tune in some places. :roll: I may try one that's not harmony later, but here's what I've got for now. :D
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam,
Esther ben Simonides
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

EstherbenSimonides wrote:Here's mine:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/lv11annivsong_ebs.mp3
I think I may be off tune in some places. :roll: I may try one that's not harmony later, but here's what I've got for now. :D
Esther, the harmonizing bits are just peachy! You can bet I'll be making some use of them! Thanks so much :thumbs:
OCTL7

Post by OCTL7 »

Hahahah, I really did it! :lol: Hardly believe myself, my first ever recorded song! I hope it's not too bad!!! :oops: If I don't have the voice I do have the spirit for the celebration! :birthday: I have been having so much fun here, though only so recently I joined!

Here's the file: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/lv11annivsong_lb.mp3
2:24
-------oOOo--oo------Oo----------

\
(
9<
/) )
_L___§___\|/__§______\|/_____§_______§§_
"For want of a bird / The sky was lost" -- Tom Waits
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

OCTL7 wrote:Hahahah, I really did it! :lol: Hardly believe myself, my first ever recorded song! I hope it's not too bad!!! :oops: If I don't have the voice I do have the spirit for the celebration! :birthday: I have been having so much fun here, though only so recently I joined!
Thank you, OCTL7! Your recording is full of spirit and will add a lot to the celebration! I'm so glad you are having fun at LV - and I hope you will have a lot more fun ahead! :clap:
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Wow! Ezwa, I'm so impressed! You sound like four completely different people - and all of them wonderful! Thank you so much! :clap:
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Thanks, Maria!
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?