An alternative suggestion for the Librivox 11th Anniversary

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

How about, instead of time-consuming "eleven-themed" readings, we have a little collection of "I love Librivox because" ... and you've got a maximum of eleven more words to state your case.

Easy to MC & PL, but it requires some deep thinking from the readers to be that concise. Lucid as Euclid, as it were.

Thoughts?

SOTE
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

:thumbs: It would work well for an anniversary podcast! You up for hosting it, SotE?

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Will the Librivox powers-that-be tolerate the muddle-through, tie-it-up-with-wire approach, Ruth?

If so, I'll give it a burl.

SOTE

P.S. So I figure there's some sort of "MCing For Dummies" I should be reading? Wouldn't happen to be one for Complete Colonial Gits, would there? ?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Anyone can volunteer to do a podcasts - there's a thread for them viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37182

Anne

And didn't NSW join the Commonwealth in 1900 ? :D
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Yes, I do believe those splinter states came back into the fold in 1901. :D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_evolution_of_Australia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Here's a consideration that would probably come up, Ruth. Would the contributors' submissions have to be original or PD quotes? Could they be short non-PD quotes (11 words max) so long as they were correctly attributed?

SOTE
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

We've had "fair use" quotes in podcasts before. We can give the podcast a Creative Commons license instead of a PD one if necessary. There isn't much you can quote in 11 words anyway ;).

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

While the stats will no doubt get a mention, I'm also thinking of other significant milestones in the past year. That phone hookup with Librivox in the UK, for instance. Was that the first time that's been done?

Also, do we have a snapshot of Librivoxers who've gone pro during the last year?

Suggestions for other significant news from the past year that deserves to be included?

Cheers,
SOTE
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:Also, do we have a snapshot of Librivoxers who've gone pro during the last year?
I fail to see the significance or newsworthiness of this statement and strongly object to its inclusion. It has nothing to do with our mission and would only encourage the attitude that Librivox can be used as a jumping off point into professional narration by using our resources (read 'helpful volunteers offering their time and expertise for free').
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Agreed. Point taken. :D

What sort of things would you like to see in this podcast? :hmm:

SOTE
catrose

Post by catrose »

Favourite experiences of the last year? Any important projects that were finished this year? Differences in Librivox between now and the past?

I'd be interested in maybe listening to an interview with our two newest MCs :)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

I was expecting and hoping it would simply be a mish mash of many people stating their librivox experience in precisely eleven words. An opening phrase of their choice such as:
I love librivox because ...
I record for librivox to ...
I'm here at librivox so that ...
Librivox means ...
which would not be counted in the eleven words.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

That's great, Bev. It will need a lot of buy-in from many people to fill a podcast at the rate of eleven words a person. That's about ten people a minute.

I'm inclined to say eleven words exactly if one can manage it, but eleven words or less otherwise. Don't want to be too rigorous.

Maybe it could be an interspersed theme, with several other short features in between. Need to see what everyone thinks.

Well, we have four people interested so far? Anyone else?

Cheers
SOTE
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Okay, let's try and tidy up the podcast concept a bit.

Now, what we want for this Librivox 11th Anniversary Podcast is the completion of one of the following sentences, or a sentence intro of your own choosing, in (an additional) eleven words or less.

"Librivox is ..."
"To me, Librivox means ..."
"Librivox is like ..."
"I love librivox because ..."
"I record for librivox to ..."
"I'm here at librivox so that ..."
"Librivox means ..."
which would not be counted in the eleven words.

Similes and metaphors are the order of the day then!

If it's original, great! If it's a quote, please attribute, immediately after the quote.

As an example, I'll give you what I intend to go with. It's a quote from the sci-fi author Lois McMaster Bujold.

Librivox is ... "a breath of life in airless places."

Cheers,
SOTE
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:That's great, Bev. It will need a lot of buy-in from many people to fill a podcast at the rate of eleven words a person. That's about ten people a minute.

I'm inclined to say eleven words exactly if one can manage it, but eleven words or less otherwise. Don't want to be too rigorous.

Maybe it could be an interspersed theme, with several other short features in between. Need to see what everyone thinks.

Well, we have four people interested so far? Anyone else?

Cheers
SOTE
I can contribute too :) (if my immagination doesn't fail me.)
Also, I think it goes without saying that you'll need some longer pieces too, if you want to fill the podcast. Unless you want to make it the shortest ever :) One option is that you could ask people to provide not only the 11-word contribution, but also (optionally) some commentary on those words. (Why did the author decide to put it like this/use this particular quotation, etc.). You, as a host, will probably have something to say, too :wink: Alternatively, you can fall back on the tried-and-tested "My year at LV" or "Confessions of an already-addicted newbie" themes, with the 11-word contributions serving as some sort of "spice" for the podcast. There's also the traditional statistics and blooper reel to borrow from.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS