The Script and the Computer

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Dini

Post by Dini »

A. The SCRIPT

I would be interested in what other readers do. So far I have printed off the script in larger font and read from the paper copy (pausing for page turns). I have also tried reading from my laptop screen but again, I have pause to scroll down to the next page.

My question is - can I use my iPad and if so, how do I get a copy saved on my iPad?

B THE COMPUTER

I have been using my desktop. My mic is in my storeroom three paces away on an extension cord (to minimize the humming noise from the desktop) and my mic is in a lined box to make it more soundproof. The recordings have been satisfactory even though I have to run them through the checker to make sure the volume is correct.

I tried my Apple Macbook (with the Blue Yet mic plugged in the side) in the storeroom but found there were crackling noises so I am back to square one with the desktop. I also found my recording needed more amplification (through Audacity) when I used the MacBook.

Who has had similar dilemmas and how have you solved them?

Thank you!
Dini
smike

Post by smike »

I don't have an ipad, but I use an ebook reader occasionally (although I mostly read from the computer screen). Can't you just upload the books to your ipad? Do you have the kindle app on it? In that case, it should be possible to use the mobi version of the books -- I think.
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

I don't have an ipad either but I do use an android tablet for reading. I have a book reading app (FBReader) and from it, I can download any book that is available on the internet. There must be something similar for ipad.

I record as you do in a separate space from the computer. Mine is in a cupboard under the stairs, with the computer outside. It works well for me.

ETA: I see FBReader is available for MacOS X. I don't know if that works for an ipad.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

I read exclusively from an iPad. To get docs to your iPad: 1) Many (most now, all?) books on P Gutenberg have an ePub option. From your iPad, find your book in PG, click ePub and a dialogue box pops up; select open in iBooks. Open iBooks and there it is. 2) Download or create a PDF on another device and then transfer to a PDF reader on your pad (I use iAnnotate). I usually always do both: 1) to pre-read the book, then 2) to record, since the PDF reader lets me scroll rather than turn virtual pages.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
Dini

Post by Dini »

sjmarky wrote:I read exclusively from an iPad. To get docs to your iPad: 1) Many (most now, all?) books on P Gutenberg have an ePub option. From your iPad, find your book in PG, click ePub and a dialogue box pops up; select open in iBooks. Open iBooks and there it is. 2) Download or create a PDF on another device and then transfer to a PDF reader on your pad (I use iAnnotate). I usually always do both: 1) to pre-read the book, then 2) to record, since the PDF reader lets me scroll rather than turn virtual pages.
Thank you so much for the advice, Mark - I am going to try it. I can imagine that life will be much easier when scrolling on an iPad rather than holding a piece of paper or trying to scroll down on a laptop screen! Will let you know if it worked.
BTW, I like your website.

Dini
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

I like your website
Thanks. I just recently redesigned it.

My website
My Librivox reader page
Dini

Post by Dini »

sjmarky wrote:I read exclusively from an iPad. To get docs to your iPad: 1) Many (most now, all?) books on P Gutenberg have an ePub option. From your iPad, find your book in PG, click ePub and a dialogue box pops up; select open in iBooks. Open iBooks and there it is. 2) Download or create a PDF on another device and then transfer to a PDF reader on your pad (I use iAnnotate). I usually always do both: 1) to pre-read the book, then 2) to record, since the PDF reader lets me scroll rather than turn virtual pages.
That took a little bit of time but I actually found my book (Little Journeys to the Homes of Great Musicians by Elbert Hubbard) on iBooks and I have downloaded it rather than looking for ePub - maybe next time. (had to pay 99c but it is worth it). Is the ePub version free?
So, now I will read from the iPad screen next time

I also dowloaded a PDF reader on my iPad but was unable to open PDFS that I emailed to myself (came out as win.dat and could not be opened). iAnnotate seemed a little too complicated.

Never-ending learning curve!

Dini
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Well, the html version will simply open Safari on your iPad, so you can also do that. You should be able to use your MacBook and iTunes to transfer PDFs to the PDF reader on your pad. That's what I do.

My website
My Librivox reader page
smike

Post by smike »

I browsed the web a bit and found a user support site which claims that epub is the ibooks format. So in theory, you should be able to download for free from Project Gutenberg, then sync in itunes, then you're good to go.

Here's your book, for instance: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20318

ETA: here's some more advice on wikipedia.
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Yes, ePub is the iBooks format. No need to sync, it will open directly in iBooks on an iPad.

My website
My Librivox reader page
Dini

Post by Dini »

I am so grateful for all the advice I am getting!
Thank you, all!
Dini
Dini

Post by Dini »

Wow, was that ever eaay! Opening the epub version of the Gutenberg right on ipad in ibooks!
Here i was cutting and pasting and printing off Word version to read!
Thank you once again
The learning curve for new readers is very steep and this is one of them!
Dini