last minute Veteran's Day / Remembrance Day recommendations?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
ScottLawton

Post by ScottLawton »

I certainly don't want to step on the toes of anyone who creates the useful lists that appear from time to time, and I apologize for this last-minute idea. A tweet reminded me that audiobook recordings in various Anglosphere countries were motivated in part to aid veterans who returned with war injuries.

So, as today is Veteran's Day in the US and Remembrance Day in the UK and other Commonwealth countries, perhaps it's worth listing some relevant books. Could be done here; could also be done directly on Twitter (or Pinterest, Facebook, etc.).

(I'll start, though as a separate post.)
Cheers,

Scott
Aplt1.com - alternate LibriVox catalog that puts more info up front; optional iOS app
ScottLawton

Post by ScottLawton »

I enjoyed this WWI book, nicely read by David Wales:

Outwitting The Hun; My Escape From A German Prison Camp
https://librivox.org/outwitting-the-hun-my-escape-from-a-german-prison-camp-by-pat-obrien/

Additional background: "Lieutenant Pat O'Brien was one of the first Americans to fight in World War I and the first American-born pilot to escape as a prisoner of war during that conflict. As a young man, both fascinated with flight and determined that America was not entering the war soon enough, O'Brien travelled to Canada in 1916 to enlist as a pilot in the Royal Flying Corps. O'Brien was shot down over German lines in 1917 and spent a month in a prisoner of war camp before making a daring escape, after which he spent two months evading capture behind enemy lines before tunneling under an electric fence to rejoin his own forces."

source: http://www.humanitiestexas.org/news/articles/firsthand-account-lieutenant-pat-obrien-world-war-i-pow
Cheers,

Scott
Aplt1.com - alternate LibriVox catalog that puts more info up front; optional iOS app
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

There are some very interesting items in the First World War Centenary Prose Collection Vol. I. It's mostly in English, but also includes pieces in Dutch, French, German and Ukrainian. This PDF has short summaries of each item. Of if you prefer poetry, there is a companion Poetry Collection.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Too late for Australia :D