Sort by popularity, and other issues

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
bereanone

Post by bereanone »

The LibriVox site is just about as drab as the last time I was here. No graphics or pictures although I have an app for my phone that DOES use them so I know they are available. And sorting by authors when browsing is not all that helpful. Genre is OK, but popularity is a big plus which seems not to have been acknowledge at all. More robust sorting arrangements might make it a lot easier to find new books. If popularity is currently available on the website I missed it. I just finished Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin and each of its MANY chapters begins with a litany of what the books name is, that it is in the publish domain, who it is being read by, etc. When I read a book, I do NOT flip to the cover of the book, read the title, the author, and the other printing crap at each chapter. After hearing that the name of the book, the author, that it is in the public domain, etc for the 50th time, I was ready to throw it out the window. Give me a freaking break already....
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!

The problem with sorting by popularity is that the older projects (which might not be the best ones) get all the glory. There's an old Count of Monte Cristo with 1.4 Million downloads, but a bunch of complaints about the readers. Compare that with the superb solo (IMHO) by David Clarke with only a little over 106,000 downloads. Sorting by download count will skew the list to older projects, not taking into account their quality.

(If you're interested, the solo is here: http://librivox.org/the-count-of-monte-cristo-version-3-by-alexandre-dumas/ )

You can go to https://archive.org/details/librivoxaudio/ and sort by "Views" (# of downloads). I also like to sort by date reviewed - I can see which projects have gotten reviews and read them, and use those as a listening guide.

Hope this helps!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart