June High Noon

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I am delighted to report that my valiant soloist Steve has completed his epic recording of Wild Wales, and it is on its way to catalogue right now.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

I don't know, but perhaps deciding on a cleaning month every half a year or so can be helpful. Thus, project would not linger very long and be forgotten. And, of course, people would feel some setesfaction seeing their recordings catalogued fast. However, this is a lot of work for the edmens, so I am not sure. Congratulations, everyone.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I think it's a lot of work for everyone: readers, PLs, BCs. Readers put forth more effort than usual, PLs and BCs keep up with the sections that have been claimed and submitted, and the MCs catalog. I'm tired today, as a BC, reader, PL, and MC. Ha ha!

Edit to add: some projects linger for a reason: too many projects of a similar type, difficult text to read, and other challenges. I wouldn't want to force readers to record from older projects - encourage them, sure, but they should only do it if they want to.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Ok. You are right. This was only a fleeting thought.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Is it - or could it be - an annual event?

A few months ago, I held my own clean up and went through the forums looking for projects over a year old. I admit I decided to leave some to other readers but I like to think I helped push some languishing projects along and I discovered some that I was surprised hadn't been more popular. I had just printed out my new list when the clean up month started.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It's not a scheduled event. It happens when someone suggests that it might be time for a cleanup month, and some admins hop on board with the idea. I think it's better to have it organic rather than tied down to a certain month or time period. IMHO, of course. [insert angel smiley here]
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

2 more sections claimed in the French Revolution - only 6 to go :clap: :clap: :thumbs: :clap: :clap:

Anne

And I think if we had a clean up too often everyone would say Ho Hum , another one . And ignore it.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I think at some point we had cleanup months once a year or so, to get the really old and lingering projects into the catalog. The last few years we didn't have any, because of all the restructuring going on in the back room; it would have been too much to handle.

I agree that it is a lot of work for everybody who is commited to help with this, regardless of her/his role in any one project, and if we had those cleanups more regularly, people would either burn out very quickly or just ignore the efforts altogether after a while.

It's very hard to say whether a project will go well or not. I would have guessed that Tricia's Magic project would get filled much sooner than that... or the Imaginary Conversations, which is real fun, has troubles finding male readers since the beginning...
In the end, Tricia is right: Trying not to have too many projects of the same type (romances, science, bios) or by the same author open at the same time may help with getting projects cataloged faster. Of course it's trying if the project you love so much does not get anywhere, but just opening another one that is essentially the same will not help at all...

Anyway, back to the cleanup months. Maybe we should have the next one some time next year. What about November?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

And it's worth remembering that those that didn't quite make it still need to be finished... July or August would work, too. Just because they didn't make the catalog in June doesn't mean we should forget them until the next cleanup :shock:
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Absolutely! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

This is very exciting! I keep watching some threads to see whether they'll make it in the last few hours. Now it's mainly down to DPL's and MC's...

I don't even dare checking the numbers right now... We'll see in July how well we've done.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Psst. Don't tell Ava . . . but we are at . . . Image

Oh well, we can wait until tomorrow to find out the final number.

I think Ann (icequeen) is going to try to catalog Music Talks with Children yet tonight! So that's one more - not on the June High Noon list, but one more done for June.

MaryAnn
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Psst. Don't tell Ava . . . but we are at . . . Image
Oh that was mean! I really thought for a moment you'd post the number... :lol: :D

I'm glad I have to write the staff picks post now. No time for sneaking in and checking...
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

And when you look, Ava, you will notice that we are not a million miles from completing 9000 projects - wouldn't it be great if that happened by the 10th anniversary in August? It's just about possible.

Well done, everybody, for contributing to such a splendid clean-up! :clap:

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Really? That would be very cool indeed!
I'm not sure I'll be much help with this goal though - I'm pretty tired by now, although I did not read that much after all when comparing to other's achievements...
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com