Please help provide information on what LibriVox is, legally

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

Please help us in our efforts to understand what LibirVox is legally. I think it might not even be a corporation and if so, how do they manage their affairs? Who handles the money, is there a bank account? How are decisions made if not by a CEO, etc.

We're re-writing Wikipedia's article on LibriVox and need this information to provide a professional picture of LibriVox.

I hope this information isn't secret in any way and that those of you who know will be willing to clue me in to the "back room" operations of LibriVox.

If the information is secret I would ask why as well as apologize for prying where I'm not supposed to.
If you create and your creation is destroyed, create anyway. (paraphrasing Mother Teresa) . . Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

LibriVox is not a legal entity. It is not a corporation. It isn't anything, legally. It is a global community where decisions are made by consensus.

I have already answered your question about financial arrangements/bank account in one of your other threads.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

it would probably good for you to read hughs statements: viewforum.php?f=18
Carolin
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

RuthieG wrote:LibriVox is not a legal entity. It is not a corporation. It isn't anything, legally. It is a global community where decisions are made by consensus.

I have already answered your question about financial arrangements/bank account in one of your other threads.

Ruth
At the risk of more irritation, if LibriVox is not a legal anything how does it collect and spend the donations? Does it use a bank account at all, and if so, who owns the account? Stuff like this.

If this topic is too sensitive for some reason, please just let me know and I'll move on. I'm trying to do a professional job and if I'm out of line I need to be told because my judgment in these areas is very poor.
If you create and your creation is destroyed, create anyway. (paraphrasing Mother Teresa) . . Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

She already answered your question about bank accounts here: viewtopic.php?p=1113787#p1113787
No, LibriVox does not have a bank account. The How to Donate page makes it clear that donations are handled through the Internet Archive on our behalf.
Note that all donations to LibriVox are made through our official home, the Internet Archive, a 501(c)(3) non-profit. Please make sure that you specify that your donation is for LibriVox.
Ruth
In other words, Archive collects the donations for us. Archive owns the bank account.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Cori

Post by Cori »

TimoleonWash wrote:If this topic is too sensitive for some reason, please just let me know and I'll move on. I'm trying to do a professional job and if I'm out of line I need to be told because my judgment in these areas is very poor.
I think you are heading out of line in some of these questions. :D Not in a 'whoa, this is all hush hush' way. But mostly because it's more detail than is useful -- even for people here most of the time, let alone random readers at Wikipedia. Perhaps it would be good to check out some pages for similar projects, to get more of a feel for the sort of information that's commonly shared. For example (but bear in mind the relative sizes, publicity profiles and time running):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_Proofreaders
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Gutenberg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HathiTrust
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musopen
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!