WordCount app for counting words in a chapter

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Isana

Post by Isana »

Kangaroo692 wrote:I code a little. I'm more into web designing (HTML and CSS) right now. I'm working on basic functionality (JavaScript) and database websites (PHP and MySQL.) If you need any styling help, I could help with that. I don't know enough about JavaScript, PHP, and MySQL to actually build a working website with them.
The app is written in Perl :9: and uses SQLite (much lighter than MySQL). The only JavaScript used is in the bookmarklet.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

When you are ready Isana, I can add links to the app and any instructions in the relevant section of our official BC FAQ document.
Jo
Isana

Post by Isana »

TriciaG wrote: Project 38497 has chapter summaries at the beginning, like 42315 did. It handled it correctly this time, except it didn't find Chapter I. :hmm: But the rest looked great!
Thanks, Tricia! I'm on it! (38497)
Isana

Post by Isana »

knotyouraveragejo wrote:When you are ready Isana, I can add links to the app and any instructions in the relevant section of our official BC FAQ document.
Thank you, Jo!
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

I made a post somewhere here, but I suppose it got lost. Maybe it didn't get posted at all, and I clicked the cancel button instead of submit.

Can you make an option to have both a chapter number and a descriptive title? In some books it will mess up the first and last words.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Kangaroo692 wrote:I made a post somewhere here, but I suppose it got lost. Maybe it didn't get posted at all, and I clicked the cancel button instead of submit.

Can you make an option to have both a chapter number and a descriptive title? In some books it will mess up the first and last words.
Like for this one? http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/3743/pg3743.txt

Wouldn't you just enter the chapter number as part of the descriptive title?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Hmm... never thought of that.
Isana

Post by Isana »

TriciaG wrote: Project 38497 has chapter summaries at the beginning, like 42315 did. It handled it correctly this time, except it didn't find Chapter I. :hmm: But the rest looked great!
Now fixed, I think.
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

One more thing Isana, it would be nice if you included the entire word count for the book.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Kangaroo692 wrote:One more thing Isana, it would be nice if you included the entire word count for the book.
I'm curious - why ?
It would be nice if it automatically populated the MW and split chapters over X number of words and came in pretty colours too , but at the moment I can't think of anything I've ever used a total word count for :D

Anne
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

I think it would help new soloists determine if they can take on a solo.
Isana

Post by Isana »

Kangaroo692 wrote:One more thing Isana, it would be nice if you included the entire word count for the book.
It's already there. :D
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Hmm... I didn't see that. Sorry, Isana.
Isana

Post by Isana »

Kangaroo692 wrote:Hmm... I didn't see that. Sorry, Isana.
No biggie. It's at the very bottom of the results page, so you need to scroll down.
Isana

Post by Isana »

annise wrote: I'm curious - why ?
It would be nice if it automatically populated the MW and split chapters over X number of words and came in pretty colours too , but at the moment I can't think of anything I've ever used a total word count for :D

Anne
If there is a format that could be used to populate magic windows (JSON, plain text, etc.), just let me know and I will try to output it.