WordCount app for counting words in a chapter

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

No there isn't - sadly sometimes :D . It's great as it is. Thank you for your efforts.

Anne
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Hopefully it will come with the next catalog update. It would make things a whole lot easier. :(
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Do any of the admins approve of my making a wiki page for this program?
I just want to make sure it's OK before I do it.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Please don't for a bit - there is no point at the moment. There are already plans to place it where it needs to be and repeating things everywhere just makes keeping it current ia problem.

Anne
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

New issue posted on your issue tracker, Isana. I thought that might be a better place to submit issues.
Isana

Post by Isana »

Thank you Kangaroo, I saw your submission. This is the same issue you've raised before, right? And I think I've given one answer to it above. Right now I'm considering it a minor issue, since it's the way the I'm expecting the app to work. But I'll try to do a little fix to it within the next few updates, if not the next update then the next one. I'll post here when I make changes. Thanks again.
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

I think TriciaG made a suggestion, and I tried it and it didn't work. Sorry. :(
And I don't think it is a minor issue, most of the Gutenberg ebooks I have read are formatted that way.
Isana

Post by Isana »

Kangaroo692 wrote:I think TriciaG made a suggestion, and I tried it and it didn't work. Sorry. :(
And I don't think it is a minor issue, most of the Gutenberg ebooks I have read are formatted that way.
Tricia's suggestion did not work because she was referring to a different title formatting than you were. If you had used the example ebook she gave, it would have worked. Titles have to be entered the way they are written in the ebook, or it won't work.

My goal for this app was to provide valid estimates of chapter word counts. I think the app is doing that now for many cases. In that light I do regard the issue you raised as a very minor one.
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Okay, I guess it's a minor issue. Sorry.
Isana

Post by Isana »

Hi everyone. I've updated the website with a new feature. Users can now download a zipped tar file of the chapters. This might be useful for BCs who prepare the text of sections for their readers. The link to the tar file is at the top of the results page.

The files are UTF-8 text files. There are no line breaks except between paragraphs. Note that this is not good for poems or tables because the formatting is lost, but regular paragraphs look okay.

As usual, please report bugs or unusual goings on if you encounter any. Thank you!
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Thank you for the added functionality, Isana.
Isana

Post by Isana »

Thanks for looking, Kangaroo. :thumbs:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Have I mentioned how cool this is? 8-) I want to say that before I ask why it's not finding something. :lol:

Any idea why it's not finding the last chapter in 24808?

- I marked it as Roman numeral titles (I don't care that the chapter titles are included in the word count)
- 11 chapters
- Word before each numeral: "CHAPTER" (is this case sensitive, by the way?)
- End string: "BIOGRAPHICAL NOTE"

Result: It finds all but chapter 11 (says "undefined"). It also tries to find a chapter 12.

It's still very helpful for chapters 1-10, though!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Isana

Post by Isana »

Thank you, Tricia! It's because LVers are cool. 8-)

I took a quick look at 24808. Try using using "bibliographical note" instead of "biographical note". I think that will work. The chapter titles are not case sensitive, only punctuation sensitive.

Chapter 11 was probably found but the app did not know how to count the words because the next "chapter" (the end flag in this case) was not found. This is always the case when a chapter title is displayed with UNDEFINED--the chapter title was found but the next one in the list wasn't.

Ah, yes, the app treats the end flag (the end, index, appendix, etc.) as a chapter right now and includes it in the list. I'll probably remove it in a future update.

I really appreciate the feedback. 8-)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Oops! :oops: "Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard"
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart