WordCount app for counting words in a chapter

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Isana

Post by Isana »

Kangaroo692 wrote:Thank you for your response. Please let me know if I can do anything to help.

Would a wiki page be proper for this software?
Thank you for the offer to help! The repository which hosts the code actually has a functionality for a wiki, but I haven't had time to write anything to it. If you want to help document the app, I can open the wiki so you can write to it. Let me know.
Isana

Post by Isana »

Hi Tricia. I got a chance to look at PG ebook 42315, and I figured out what was going on. I fixed the app on my development version and will push the changes to the website on the next update, which should be in a couple of days. So hopefully other ebooks like this will be handled properly in the future, too. Thanks again for the feedback!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Cool! I look forward to trying it again. 8-)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Isana

Post by Isana »

Hi all. The website will be down briefly starting around 20:30 UTC (about an hour from now) so I can update to the latest code with fixes to the issues discussed here so far. Thanks.
Isana

Post by Isana »

Hi everyone. The website is back up. The latest update includes the following changes:

* Users can now specify a string to flag the end of the last chapter when using the numeral titles option. This string is used to exclude extra material after the last chapter from being counted as part of the last chapter.

* There is now a note on the text input form for users to use the text version of an ebook instead of the HTML version to determine titles.

* It can now handle PG ebook 42315 and others which may be like it. When using the numeral titles option, the user still has to enter the last chapter number for the number of chapters (57 for this ebook), and the app will still count from Chapter I, but the word counts will be estimated properly for the existing chapters.

If you have further feedback, just keep posting on this thread and I'll see what I can do.

Hope I didn't break anything. :shock:
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Isana, I'd love to help document the software. I meant a page on the LibriVox wiki, but I can do both if you want.
Isana

Post by Isana »

Kangaroo692 wrote:Isana, I'd love to help document the software. I meant a page on the LibriVox wiki, but I can do both if you want.
Ah, I think your idea is better. Please feel free to write about it on the LibriVox wiki when you get a chance (it might be subject to approval by LV mods, not sure). Thank you, and let me know if you have questions.
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

I'm not saying your idea is bad. Your idea is better for somethings (tutorials, general information, errors and how to fix them, etc.) but the LV wiki page would be better for general information, etc. It could link to the WordCount wiki for general help.
Isana

Post by Isana »

Kangaroo692 wrote:I'm not saying your idea is bad. Your idea is better for somethings (tutorials, general information, errors and how to fix them, etc.) but the LV wiki page would be better for general information, etc. It could link to the WordCount wiki for general help.
Yes, I happen to agree with you. I think the LV wiki would be a good place for it, and I don't think I will get a chance to write a dedicated wiki for the app any time soon so, yeah, that would be great. :D
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Do you want me to write a dedicated wiki?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've added it here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Software_We_Use although it's a bit lost in the crowd.
Isana

Post by Isana »

Kangaroo692, probably not for the repository wiki, since it probably won't have an audience. If you could make a page on the LV wiki, I'd be happy with that because LVers are the target audience right now. You don't have to, though. Do you code? I'm open to ideas. :)

Tricia, thank you. It's a good crowd to be with.
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

I code a little. I'm more into web designing (HTML and CSS) right now. I'm working on basic functionality (JavaScript) and database websites (PHP and MySQL.) If you need any styling help, I could help with that. I don't know enough about JavaScript, PHP, and MySQL to actually build a working website with them.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I don't know how good it is, but some word processing programs (I use LibreOffice) allow you to export to wiki text. It might be a good place to start.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Isana wrote:* It can now handle PG ebook 42315 and others which may be like it. When using the numeral titles option, the user still has to enter the last chapter number for the number of chapters (57 for this ebook), and the app will still count from Chapter I, but the word counts will be estimated properly for the existing chapters.
Project 38497 has chapter summaries at the beginning, like 42315 did. It handled it correctly this time, except it didn't find Chapter I. :hmm: But the rest looked great!