Any interest in LibriVox's representation on wikipedia?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

Hi All,

After thinking on it I think we are in a good place for now.
  • 1) I have been corresponding with Green Cardamom at wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Green_Cardamom who is expert on wikipedia and templates, and at least dang knowledgeable on LibriVox.
    2) Mr. Green has written new internals for the template and added some features (see the template description here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Librivox_book).
    3) Mr. Green has verified its functionality and I only understand a little of it.
    4) If LibriVox uses the template as described in the example, just the title and author, then all will be well.
    5) If LibriVox's interface changes in the future I have no doubt that the great folks at wikipedia can address it in such a way that all the links that exist at that time work with the new stuff (with the way Green designed the interface this will not be difficult.)
    6) I will begin entering links in wikipedia. Currently there are 49 pages in wikipedia using a LibriVox template. I will report back here if anything comes up.
Since we've all come this far, I propose we somehow make this updating of wikipedia an ongoing project. It could be something simple like:

1 - Seek a volunteer wiki-updater at project launch just as we seek PLers.
2 - Don't close the project until the wiki-updater reports that the link exists on wikipedia.
3 - Send a message to (ekzemplaro) to update their unofficial list of completed projects.
4 - Begin brain storming how ekzemplaro's data can become official, or at least exist on the LibriVox servers with LibriVox ownership/passwords, etc. (Just in case ekzemplaro decides to join NASA and become an astronaut and moves to Mars :hmm: :mrgreen: )

Thoughts?

POST SCRIPT: I have made the first three changes to wikipedia, John Milton's texts: #6558 Areopagitica, #6392 Paradise Regained, and #8194 Paradise Lost, all now have the new standard (if that is what this is, a new standard) link from wikipedia.

i.e.
*{{Librivox book | title=Areopagitica | author=John Milton}}
*{{Librivox book | title=Paradise Regained | author=John Milton}}
*{{Librivox book | title=Paradise Lost | author=John Milton}}
If you create and your creation is destroyed, create anyway. (paraphrasing Mother Teresa) . . Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Cori

Post by Cori »

That's a perfect template, thanks Green Cardamom. :D

1. I don't think this makes sense to do at project launch. A certain percentage of books started here never get finished, while other books take several years to complete, so there's only a small chance the wiki-volunteer will be the same person who signed up at the beginning. Alternative below ...

2. I also don't like the idea of blocking a project's completion until someone's done something at Wikipedia. Those links are a nice-to-have, not a core part of our mission -- witness the fact we've got through 10 years of LibriVoxing with only 49 links. :lol: I'd recommend using the Cover Art model, where the work is done once the book is close to, or fully complete, which saves anyone's time going to waste, and means there isn't any waiting around on anyone's part.

3. I wonder if Masa San could provide a system to allow people to 'claim' projects they want to enter? That would save him updating the list potentially several times a week or other people checking pages that have already been done.

4. Let's see how this goes first before getting into brainstorming. As I said, this isn't a core part of LibriVox's project, and could go on perfectly well in parallel, rather than being 'official'. Other activities, such as putting things on iTunes, tweeting about them, etc., go that way. Give it six months or a year as suggested above and see what comes up.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

Cori wrote:That's a perfect template, thanks Green Cardamom. :D

1. I don't think this makes sense to do at project launch. A certain percentage of books started here never get finished, while other books take several years to complete, so there's only a small chance the wiki-volunteer will be the same person who signed up at the beginning. Alternative below ...

2. I also don't like the idea of blocking a project's completion until someone's done something at Wikipedia. Those links are a nice-to-have, not a core part of our mission -- witness the fact we've got through 10 years of LibriVoxing with only 49 links. :lol: I'd recommend using the Cover Art model, where the work is done once the book is close to, or fully complete, which saves anyone's time going to waste, and means there isn't any waiting around on anyone's part.

3. I wonder if Masa San could provide a system to allow people to 'claim' projects they want to enter? That would save him updating the list potentially several times a week or other people checking pages that have already been done.

4. Let's see how this goes first before getting into brainstorming. As I said, this isn't a core part of LibriVox's project, and could go on perfectly well in parallel, rather than being 'official'. Other activities, such as putting things on iTunes, tweeting about them, etc., go that way. Give it six months or a year as suggested above and see what comes up.
Yes, All great ideas. So, at this point, is there somewhere I could start a thread letting the community this is another extra volunteer project?
Or better yet, is there any experienced LibriVoxer who would start a thread on this, maybe in the "Volunteers Wanted: Other Projects" board?
And thanks to all of you who've helped this bonehead begin something I'm excited about :mrgreen:
If you create and your creation is destroyed, create anyway. (paraphrasing Mother Teresa) . . Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Cori

Post by Cori »

There's already a thread there: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1736 :D

Perhaps post a very simple summary of what you're doing and how (examples of links and wiki formats, placement on the page, which Wikipedia page you use and so on.) And then take it from there. Hopefully other people will join in, but they may be waiting to see how it goes for you first (having 'approval' doesn't mean you aren't going to run into difficulties if you make 50 'promotional' changes in a day.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello Timoleon san,
TimoleonWash wrote: I have made the first three changes to wikipedia, John Milton's texts: #6558 Areopagitica, #6392 Paradise Regained, and #8194 Paradise Lost,
Please use id instead of no. When you use Author search using 'Milton' as key word, the no changes but id won't change.

b588 Paradise Lost
b8815 Paradise Lost (version 2)

b2210 Paradise Regained
b7483 Paradise Regain'd (version 2)

b2267 Areopagitica
b7570 Areopagitica (Version 2)

Cheers,
Masa
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

ID, not number, OK. The Id's are b8815, b7570, and b7483.

I expect I will have more as time goes on. I'm sorry for the confusion.
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

Cori wrote:There's already a thread there: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1736 :D

Perhaps post a very simple summary of what you're doing and how (examples of links and wiki formats, placement on the page, which Wikipedia page you use and so on.) And then take it from there. Hopefully other people will join in, but they may be waiting to see how it goes for you first (having 'approval' doesn't mean you aren't going to run into difficulties if you make 50 'promotional' changes in a day.)
A "pilot" project in the beginning. Great idea. I'll post such soon.
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

Hi All,

I just started a thread at Volunteers Wanted: Other Projects: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55938

It looks like the question that started this thread has been answered, YES, there is interest in LibriVox's representation on Wikipedia. The above mentioned thread is for a pilot project. If you happen by please let me know if anything needs changing, adding, removing, etc.

Thanks all. I really wanted to begin adding links to wikipedia and am very happy I can do so in a way that works for LibriVox, Wikipedia, and me. I hope it works for others as well, or leads to something else that does. Thanks again.
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello Timoleon san,
TimoleonWash wrote:The Id's are b8815, b7570, and b7483.
As of now
there're links to b7570 & b8815 from Wikipedia.
But there isn't a link to b7483 from Wikipedia.
Please confirm the above situation.

So I added the following information. I added the catalog name of the reporter.
b7483 1 TimoleonWash
b7570 2 TimoleonWash
b8815 2 TimoleonWash
Cheers,
Masa
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

Hello ekzemplaro san,

Great Catch! The link on the Paradise Lost wikipedia page is to the author-book page at LibvriVox.
These author-book LibiVox pages have all the recordings of this book by this author. As of today,
the wikipedia page takes one to: https://librivox.org/search?title=Paradise+Lost&author=Milton&reader=&keywords=&genre_id=0&status=all&project_type=either&recorded_language=&sort_order=catalog_date&search_page=1&search_form=advanced
which shows two renditions available as audio books.

I didn't realize that I needed to report each version of the recordings and only reported the one. Therefore my modified report is as follows:

Paradise Lost, (version1)=b588 & (v2)=b8815 are linked.
Paradise Regained, (v1)=b2210 is linked. (v2)=b7483 NOT FOUND on librivox page and therefore not linked to from wikipedia, apparently only version is available.
Areopagitica, (v2)=b7570 & (v1)=b2267 are linked.
Cori

Post by Cori »

TimoleonWash wrote:Paradise Regained, (v1)=b2210 is linked. (v2)=b7483 NOT FOUND on librivox page and therefore not linked to from wikipedia, apparently only version is available.
b7483 is titled Paradise Regain'd. I'd suggest using "Paradise Regain" as the Wikipedia search term, and then both will pop up correctly (and since Milton didn't write a book by that exact name, there won't be any confusion in future.)
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

Cori wrote:
TimoleonWash wrote:Paradise Regained, (v1)=b2210 is linked. (v2)=b7483 NOT FOUND on librivox page and therefore not linked to from wikipedia, apparently only version is available.
b7483 is titled Paradise Regain'd. I'd suggest using "Paradise Regain" as the Wikipedia search term, and then both will pop up correctly (and since Milton didn't write a book by that exact name, there won't be any confusion in future.)
Let me see if I get it, if I use the name as "Paradise Regain" I should get both entries, but if the name "Paradise Regained" or "Paradise Regain'd" I would get one only for each one, right?

I tried "Regain" and got both books. The problem is that the link on wikipedia displays the book name exactly as entered, so the link showed the title as "Paradise Regain" without the "'d" or "ed".

So it looks like our only choices are:
1. Leave as is.
2. Add a second link to wikipedia.
3. Change the title with the "'d" to "ed" on LibriVox's end.

Now that I think of it, who would search for "Paradise Regain'd" as most folks know it as "Regained?" On he other hand, if there are two titles maybe there should be two links...

Please let me know how to proceed, thx.
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello Timoleon san,
TimoleonWash wrote:Paradise Lost, (version1)=b588 & (v2)=b8815 are linked.
Paradise Regained, (v1)=b2210 is linked. (v2)=b7483 NOT FOUND on librivox page and therefore not linked to from wikipedia, apparently only version is available.
Thank you.
I entered the information as follows.
b588 2 TimoleonWash
b2210 2 TimoleonWash
b2267 2 TimoleonWash
b7483 1 TimoleonWash
b7570 2 TimoleonWash
b8815 2 TimoleonWash
'1' means 'Exists link to Wikipedia'.

Cheers,
Masa
TimoleonWash

Post by TimoleonWash »

ekzemplaro wrote:Hello Timoleon san,
TimoleonWash wrote:Paradise Lost, (version1)=b588 & (v2)=b8815 are linked.
Thank you.
I entered the information as follows.
b588 2 TimoleonWash
b2210 2 TimoleonWash
b2267 2 TimoleonWash
b7483 1 TimoleonWash
b7570 2 TimoleonWash
b8815 2 TimoleonWash
'1' means 'Exists link to Wikipedia'.

Cheers,
Masa
I'm sorry ekzemplaro for being such a bonehead but perhaps it is a language issue? I don't know anything about linking "to" wikipedia. I only know linking from wikipedia and I don't see any flag in your instructions what shows only linking FROM wikipedia and not TO it. As far as I know, none of the above books have any link from LibriVox to wikipedia. Please advise.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

All books that have a wikipedia page for the book have a link to that wikipedia page on their LibriVox catalog page. If there isn't one, then there wasn't a specific wikipedia entry for the book at the time the project was cataloged.

A lot of the books we record do not have a wikipedia entry so obviously have no link on the catalog page.
Jo