Gutenberg and Audacity

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Lebyoder

Post by Lebyoder »

Please excuse my ignorance but how can I have both Audacity and the Gutenburg text on the screen at the same time? Do I need to print out the text from Gutenberg and read from a hard copy?

Thanks for your help.

Lois Yoder
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I put them side by side. Some people put one on top, one underneath.

It's a matter of resizing the windows. If you use Windows, if you drag the window to the side ("grab" it from its top bar and move it to the side) until the cursor hits the side of your screen, Windows will auto-fit the window so it fills half the screen on that side. This works for both your browser and Audacity - do the same thing on the other side of the screen with the other program. To get it back to normal, double click the top bar on each.

Fitting them so one is on top of the other is harder - you have to do that manually. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

To put them one on top of the other you can use the task bar on the bottom. In Windows 8, if you right-click the bottom task bar you see a list of options.

Two of the options are:
Show windows stacked and
Show windows side by side

To use this method, open Audacity, open your browser to gutenberg.org, then right-click the task bar and click your selection. If you have more than those two windows open it will show all of them in columns or rows, depending on the option you select.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I don't bother to look at Audacity while I'm recording. I just have it running in a window behind my text. (This probably comes from years of recording away from the computer on a portable recorder; I never missed being able to see the recording software then either.) I don't edit as I go, though. I record the whole thing and edit it when I'm finished. If I'm taking a longish pause to let the dogs out or get some tea or whatever, then I can bring forward the Audacity window with one click to pause the recording.

The few times I have wanted to see Audacity while I recorded, I've just resized both windows manually to fit vertically on my screen. But usually I want to see as much of the text as possible on the screen.
Laurie Anne
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

I also record on a handheld and read from a e-book reader.

When editing I have the text full screen in a word document (so I can highlight bits that I read wrong and need to rerecord) and have Audacity at the bottom of the screen, kept on top with Desk Pins. So I resize the Audacity window to show just the track, with no blank space, but I don't need to change the size of the text window, which I find very convenient, as then I don't have to keep changing it when I am doing something that's not audio editing.

Desk Pins does not work in Windows 8, but Window on Top does.

(When downloading either of these, make sure to say no to all of the extra stuff they try to convince you to get with them.)
So little space, so much to say.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I don't bother to look at Audacity while I'm recording. I just have it running in a window behind my text. (This probably comes from years of recording away from the computer on a portable recorder; I never missed being able to see the recording software then either.) I don't edit as I go, though. I record the whole thing and edit it when I'm finished. If I'm taking a longish pause to let the dogs out or get some tea or whatever, then I can bring forward the Audacity window with one click to pause the recording.
I like to see it, so I can see if I'm clipping or if Audacity crashes (it happened recently, and I didn't notice until I wanted to take a break because I wasn't showing the Audacity window). :roll:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
tony123

Post by tony123 »

I, also, like to see the Audacity window, to know if it crashes. That also allows me to occasionally save the portion that I've recorded so that I have that much secured at least. In my experience crashes don't occur often, but when they do, it's so disappointing! To help avoid crashes, I go off line so that I have one less software interference going on.

I like to make a recording page with just the material I plan to record for that section. That makes it easier for me to do things like mark dialogue (especially useful in those cases where you have long sections of dialogue with little or no "he said" "she saids," :shock: where you can lose track of who is talking.

Tony
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I have the text on screen that I read from and the Audacity box in the lower third of the screen, scrolling the text as I read. there is a wonderful tiny app called WizMouse that enables your mouse to scroll without the need to 'click'. Thus both are running and I can eyeball the Audacity track to be sure it is running and my volume is about right.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

chocoholic wrote:I don't bother to look at Audacity while I'm recording. I just have it running in a window behind my text. (This probably comes from years of recording away from the computer on a portable recorder; I never missed being able to see the recording software then either.) I don't edit as I go, though. I record the whole thing and edit it when I'm finished. If I'm taking a longish pause to let the dogs out or get some tea or whatever, then I can bring forward the Audacity window with one click to pause the recording.

The few times I have wanted to see Audacity while I recorded, I've just resized both windows manually to fit vertically on my screen. But usually I want to see as much of the text as possible on the screen.
Ditto

I've had once when I didn't have the microphone plugged in (which I could have easilt avoided my testing it)and once when it crashed.
-Bria

Dramatic Readings of Bible passages

Some reason I decided to try to write fiction. And it sucked me far away from LibriVox into the world of writing, editing and blogging.
Click here to read about it.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

i have a 16:9 screen, and when i record, the audacity window is stretched from one end of the screen to the other, and the online text is in a smaller window at the left side of the screen over audacity. this way, i can have an eye on the newly recording portions of the track on the right side and read on the left side of the screen.

i find it useful to have audacity open and visible because i can sometimes get clipping during dialogues or other excitement. i have never had audacity crash, i hope it stays that way :)

for me, it is also convenient to have the text in a narrow window because i tend to lose the line i read when the lines are too wide (you know, when one line ends and you have to continue at the left again in a longer paragraph).
Carolin