Mobile app survey

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
udvaritibor

Post by udvaritibor »

Hello everybody,

Being dissatisfied with the current apps out there that use LibriVox audiobooks, I was looking to make a professional quality one myself, with a community focus.

For this I put together a survey to get to know how people are using LV.

http://goo.gl/forms/speF3hNLtc

Getting to know you I can focus on really making an app for the community!

Thank you in advance for your contributions!
Cori

Post by Cori »

We may not be your target audience, though ;) Most of the members of the forum are contributors (in some way) ... that's not to say that we don't listen to LV books too, but the way we use the catalogue may not be anything like the majority of listeners.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
udvaritibor

Post by udvaritibor »

Hello Cori,

We were discussing the same thing over here
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=54586

I know that people who are on the forums are not necessarily the target "listener" audience but readers and contributors are important members of the community.

I'm trying to get more feedback on facebook and reddit as well but I think the forums shouldn't be neglected.

Thank you for your feedback and thoughts :)
kayray

Post by kayray »

Taking your survey now, though I am far from the average Librivox user (if there is such a person).

"Where do you use Librivox?" needs checkboxes instead of radio buttons!

"How do you mainly use Librivox?" is ambiguous. I think you mean, "How do you mainly listen to LibriVox audiobooks?"
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Where do you use Librivox?" needs checkboxes instead of radio buttons!
And the "When do you usually listen to Librivox?"

I won't clog up your survey results myself as I am not a smartphone user.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
udvaritibor

Post by udvaritibor »

Thank you for the response and the feedback.

I made the adjustments to the form. :)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'd be happier if you didn't call it LibriVox Community Survey - How about LibriVox Users ? It is not an official survey and I think you should make that clear .
We don't make apps or tell people how they should listen or care how old they are or their gender or any of these things, we just produce readings of PD books.

Anne
udvaritibor

Post by udvaritibor »

Hello Anne, that's a good point.

I changed the title to LibriVox users Mobile App Survey to avoid confusion.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

How many apps do you use regularly? *

One or two
Three to five
More than three

Did you mean the last option to be "more than five"? :)

In the "how do you rate these features" section, this doesn't make sense to me:
"Playback and after given time"
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Just a little feedback...

"What is your first language? *"

Do you mean my mother tongue? Or the language in which the most books are to which I listen?

"How often do you use Librivox to listen to audiobooks? *"

I don't go to librivox.org to download books every day. Did you mean to say "How often do you listen to audiobooks from Librivox?"

"Do you read books from the Gutenberg project? *"

When I volunteer, most of what I read (to record) is from Gutenberg. Did you mean that? Or did you mean whether I download from Gutenberg to read (the text) to myself? Unclear.

"Are globally satisfied with the Librivox app/apps that you are using? *"

Badly worded. Do you mean "Are you generally satisfied...?"

"recommandations" - misspelled. "recommendations"
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
udvaritibor

Post by udvaritibor »

Might have rushed the survey a little too much :)

I made the necessary corrections.
kukailimoku

Post by kukailimoku »

Maybe I'm missing something (I'm not an app nerd)...

The free Audiobooks app by David Smith at Cross Forward Consulting is pretty much a front end to Librivox. I figured it was a part of the project. Is there a relationship there or is it just a free window inside? (I also noticed that there are some pro recordings for sale...I wonder if the purchase $$ go to the app owner or the book owner?)

The m4b downloads play directly in the Music app that comes with the iPhone so is an app actually necessary? This has become my weapon of choice...I drive through tunnels a lot.

With these two choices already available, is there a need for another app?
Why yes there IS a blog about choral singing. Thanks for asking.
http://www.thewindwardchoralsociety.org/news/
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The free Audiobooks app by David Smith at Cross Forward Consulting is pretty much a front end to Librivox. I figured it was a part of the project. Is there a relationship there or is it just a free window inside?
There are no official LibriVox apps. We make our catalog available; that's the extent of any relationship. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
kukailimoku

Post by kukailimoku »

There are no official LibriVox apps. We make our catalog available; that's the extent of any relationship. :)
Interesting...I wonder what this particular one is up to then? They say, "The app features an extensive collection of free public domain books narrated by the volunteers at Librivox. Why not enhance your Audiobooks Premium listening experience? The app offers a "Plus" add-on of its entire enhanced Librivox collection at $6.99"

I wonder what they enhanced?
Why yes there IS a blog about choral singing. Thanks for asking.
http://www.thewindwardchoralsociety.org/news/
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

THis comes up a lot on our help email - especially if something goes wrong .
so I thought I would post in the forum the answer we give.
May I explain what this site is ? We are a group of volunteers who enjoy reading aloud with the stated aim of producing audiobooks from all works in the Public Domain in the USA. This in general means published before 1923.
When we have made them we release them into the Public domain so that all can listen to them at no cost Our books may all be downloaded at no cost from LibriVox.org.
We are able to do this because everyone is a volunteer and because Archive.org hosts us and our recordings at no charge. Because we release everything back into the Public Domain, anyone can use it however they want. Over the years a number of outsiders have used our recordings for their own projects. There are sellers on Ebay who burn them to disc and sell them , usually at low cost. There have also been a number of apps developed which include our free audiobooks in the material that they offer. We don't have any control over or involvement with these apps. They don't need our permission to include Librivox audiobooks in their catalog and we don't receive anything back in return.

Hope this has explained our position
I don't have any apps or things that use apps - but my understanding is that the one you may be referring to does not charge for the basic , LV containing one
It's enhanced version has non LV non PD books available as well - at a price , so I assume the authors get a share of proceeds and there would be costs associated with the money side of it.

Anne