"Background " Reader???

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
WYSIWYG

Post by WYSIWYG »

In a thread for a project recently deactivated for lack of progress, as I understand, a new member seemed to have recruited a helper to read half of the material who AFAIK had not actually claimed any sections and who apparently had not recorded any of what the BC/reader had recruited her to cover. I'm not sure the recruited reader had joined Librivox.

While anyone's wanting to help recruit new readers might be a great impulse, I would like to request that folks doing section recordings for Librivox post their own plans and tech info (under their own membership), rather than their presence in the project be reported upon by another member. As a former DPLer it would make me nuts not to be able to interact in the thread with each reader. I can only imagine how strange it would be for the others who help produce the treasures Librivox represents, for there to be no direct communication possible through threads or PMs.

But that's not the main rationale for my request. I think the main thing is that every book I now enjoy here comes to me by using the database not only for author preferences or genre preferences, but for reader preferences. I'm not alone in this, and many listeners have found wonderful new authors we might never have explored if not having been read by a reader whose choice of material (and delivery style) we choose to follow. And yes, sometimes my searches start from MW listings.

I value this community of volunteers, and I believe that one reason it all works is that each and every one of those on book teams speaks for themselves. By doing this, new volunteers have a rich learning environment where experienced folks' wisdom and simplified approaches are readily available to learn from. That can't happen when folks are not mixing in with the rest.

~Susan
Vision issues and routine, long travel make audbiobooks a MUST for me-- THANK YOU. Apologies in advance for ypto's in my posts.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I agree with what you say - there are however some times when there is a good reason for people to operate that way , and I wouldn't like us to exclude anybody.

Anne