Grateful but sad

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Alistenerslistener

Post by Alistenerslistener »

I think it's awsome that I can find and listen to the great classic literature offered through Librivox for free. That being said, I have to express my dissapointment in regards to the production quality (or lack thereof) when it comes to the finished product. I would like to offer my services as a "proof listener", unfortunately my standards and expectations are so high that quite a few of the submissions would not pass my approval. Please don't misunderstand, I think it's fantastic that everyone wants to donate their time and passion toward this worth while project, I know how difficult it is to read aloud and make it entertaining and enjoyable. Unfortunately, not everyone has the clarity of speach, grasp of the language or dynamic range to captivate listeners.
I recently attempted to get through The Count of Monte Cristo as well as 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and I was unable to stick with them because the readers querks and foybles were so distracting.
If l were offering a product, even a free one, I would want it to be of the highest quality. When l hear speach impediments, mispronounciations and people who clearly have no grasp of what it is they're reading, I don't think "quality product", I think "where is the quality controll ?"
If anyone has a suggestion as to how I could help in the quality control department, I'm all ears
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi Listener! and we are glad you took the time to write and even more glad you are doing something positive like offering to proof listen. I'd like to give you a great big welcome to LibriVox! You are correct in stating that our recordings sometimes fall far from the perfection they could be; we know this very well. As you browse the forums and become better acqainted with our way of operating you will see that our goal is to record all public domain books and understandablity is all we really demand.

Anyway, I am going to suggest you watch a video or two, (see below), read our Proof Listening guidelines and then check out this project where word perfect proof listening is required viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50279 . Post a note to the book coordinator in that thread and see if your skills can help here. Most of our projects don't require word perfect but some do and this is where you can be very helpful because it is difficult.

Here are a few videos that may help you see how we do things; many more in my signature.
The LibriVox Recording Process: Is it Magic? click to see video This video explains how a book progresses from being suggested to finally being recorded and cataloged. Jargon such as BC, MC, PL and DPL are explained. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOqI_Orr4SU

WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX: Getting to Know Our Forums click to see video A video that explains the basic parts of our forum and lots of good stuff about it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnxpcbnEjoQ&feature=youtu.be
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Alistenerslistener wrote:... awsome ... dissapointment ... worth while ... querks ... speach impediments, mispronounciations ... quality controll ?"
The above to be seen as proof of the concept: We all make mistakes. All the time.

Hi there and welcome!

In general, unless the reader specifically and explicitly asks for it, we do not offer any advice or comments on reading style because:

1) A pleasant reading style lies in the ear of the listener. What appears as speech impediment to you, is a lovely lilt for somebody else. Also, you can get used to the way somebody speaks. One of the people I did not like much in the beginning has turned into one of my favourite readers over time.

2) Pronunciation heavily depends on location. While I would love to strangle everybody who says "Kaffe" in the hard, northern Germany way instead of the soft "Kaffeee" as in Austria (or at least inflict severe bodily harm on random bystanders), I have to admit that the way he pronounces the word is correct even if it sends spasms down my spine.

3) Even if you find a reader who is happy to receive detailed advice as you are suggesting it (and I'm not saying there are none on LV), you must understand that correcting every single mistake after the fact takes
a) a very long time for the additional editing and
b) will most likely be audible.
The first will likely frustrate the reader, the second will likely frustrate the listener, and both will likely be more frustrated than if a little slip is left in the final recording here and there.

Our readers, prooflisteners and admins do their very best to ensure an even audio quality when it comes to major mistakes (repeats and omissions for example), volume, background noise, and file specifications. Individuals may - and do - go above and beyond that for their own recordings, but it would be severely hampering LibriVox's goal (Make all public domain texts into free audiobooks) if we insisted on everybody doing that.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

I'd like to point you to the "Thank a Reader" thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=28781

You might find some readers there whom you can appreciate along with the listeners who thanked them.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
Alistenerslistener

Post by Alistenerslistener »

Wow, first and last post all in the same hour.
My point was not to attack any reader in particular, there are a few who have done exceptional jobs (Chip from Tampa is very good), but rather to simply point out ( as someone who has listened to thousands of audio books over the past 27 or 28 years) that some can and some can't.
After having my poor spelling used against me to "hammer" in her point, as well as someone else missing my point all together ( I'm pretty sure I said it is great that people want to do this and I am grateful...) it's clear to me that my years of listening to commercially produced audio has spoiled my ability to accept anything less then almost perfect.
What l did learn from my foray into forum is that it is better to keep my mouth shut and look a fool then open it and dispell all doubt.
Keep up the good work LV, I'll listen to what l can and omit what l can't.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I think we all appreciate that you didn't resort to name calling :wink:

And I fully agree with you that some people can - and some people can't. But that is my personal opinion, and it doesn't mean that my personal opinion as to what (I think) somebody can (or can't) should be used as benchmark for everybody else.

Don't forget, that there's also "improving with practice" - some people do, and some don't... have had enough practice just yet. :wink:

This is a very open, community run project, and we usually listen to and discuss all suggestions for improvement very carefully.

Except for the particular one you brought up - as many people before you have already, and many people after you will find out - there we take and always took a very firm stance. Everybody can and will always be able to read for Librivox. That's part of our plan and all of our success.

In any case, I hope that you will find at least some of our readers enjoyable, and who knows, maybe somebody else's style will grow on you over time.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com