How to find a book by means of a speech software

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
dejanristic1983

Post by dejanristic1983 »

Dear and highly respected librivoxers

I have got a message from Anne saying that some of our members used to have access to librivox, but it is impossible for them to access it now. anne asked me to help her, but I am asking you now to help me to help Anne and those being unable to reach librivox. Here comes a part of a message with some of my instructions of book-finding by means of NVDA.

Hi anne

I have done my best to understand the message. One part of it says: 'I use a screen reader', which may mean that it is the windows built-in speech unit called Narrator. If a person who said that they were unable to access the librivox site properly use such a screen reader, they were right, because the Narrator does not read screen items as well as NVDA and Jaws do. I strongly recommend NVDA because it is the best 'SCREEN READER' ever.

How to find a book by using NVDA?

First, open the site by typing http://www.librivox.org, then press the enter button and let the browser open it for you.
Second, press the letter e to position you to the edit field. Press enter and/or space to allow the edit mode to turn on. On pressing either enter or space, you will hear a click which means that you can type in the edit field.
Third, Type what you want to find. After doing so, press tab and you will hear Search button. Press either space or enter and then you have finished the search process.
Fourth, press insert plusF7 in order to hear 'Elements list dialog' which means that you've opened all the links on the page. Use down arrow to move through the links to find the name of a writer or a book. When you've found it, press enter, and it means that you have opened the link you have searched for.
Fifth, to start the download process of the desired book, press insert plusF7 again, use up or down arrows to find the link called Download, or hit the letter d till you hear download pronounced. Press enter again to start the process.

Important Note:

If you want to use NVDA properly, use Mozilla firefox.

Note to the admins:

Anne also told me that some listeners are not computer savvy, which may mean that they may be still unable to understand me. I suggested to Anne, as an admin, to inform the rest of the admin team to consider establishing a librivox skype station so that some trifling problems can be solved on the spot. I have not opened my youtube channel, because skype is a more direct way of causing somebody to understand a problem by solving it together with them by means of demonstrations on the spot in front of a person not being able to understand something. Remember Dan, an English teacher who teaches English over skype. An excellent idea, isn't it?