Where can I find a good freeware English-English dictionary

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
dejanristic1983

Post by dejanristic1983 »

As I have said in the subject line, I would like to find a good freeware English-English dictionary that can be downloaded and used offline. I use WordWeb and The Sage dictionary, but I would like to have a dictionary that gives a good explanation about parts of speech. For example, when I look up the word dog, a good dict would inform me that it is a countable noun. If I type meat, it says that it is a non-count or an uncountable noun. The usage of examples would be useful. I should think that I want too much for free, but I am asking, and it costs nothing. Librivox-read books are free of charge, but they are read as if you are paid professionals. Thankful to all! :)
andy5995

Post by andy5995 »

I run the dictd server on my computer, and use 'dict' to locally to connect to it. Running on the same machine. It doesn't give the type of results you're requesting though.

I don't think this is exactly what you're looking for, but maybe it'll help lead you in the right direction, or connect you with someone who knows the answer.

http://www.dict.org/bin/Dict

http://www.dict.org/w/software/start

http://www.freedict.org/en/
dejanristic1983

Thank you for helping me.

I like the dictionary you use, and it gathers definitions from different sources. Let me tell you that it suits me. I am an English-speaking person, and there is a hundred ways of determining whether a noun is a countable or an uncountable one. Do you use WordWeb or The sage? If you want their links, let me know.
best regards (happy)
dejanristic1983

Hi andy,

Let me address you once more and be thankful to you for helping me with the dict.org. As you said in February, the dict did not offer what I wanted, but it was capable of rendering words from a source language to a target one. I am also a Serbo-Croat speaker for I come from Bosnia. I am sure that it will be very useful when I have been asked to do the rendering from English to Serbo-Croat and vice versa.

Sincerely yours,
Dejan Ristic.
andy5995

Post by andy5995 »

I'm glad I could help. Thank you for letting me know, and good luck to you.
dejanristic1983

To my librivox friend, Andy

Observing that you use a good English-English dictionary, I am going to give you two more:

www.sequencepublishing.com

www.wordweb.info

Free parts of these can be used offline.

as to the first one, it is the Sage's English-English dictionary. Being totally blind, I cannot tell you too much about its visual status, but according to some options referring to it, let me suppose that it is very well designed for a sighted person.

As far as the second one is concerned, it can be used both online and offline. It is very quick to open, and is always at a user's command. It ofers thousands and thousands of words. It does not take too much memory on a hard.

Let me know how you like it. :)
andy5995

Post by andy5995 »

Thank you. Unfortunately, they only offer files compatible with Windows—I use Slackware and Debian Linux. I appreciate your thoughtfulness though. :)